Monitor not displaying the resolution Windows SAYS it is?

robinleaf

Reputable
Nov 17, 2015
Hey guys, just upgraded to Windows 10, running an MSI R9 390 on a z97 Pro Gamer motherboard, HDMI connection to a 1920x1080 60Hz monitor.

So drivers are all up to date etc., the resolution Windows SAYS I'm running on display settings is 1920x1080, but I have to overscan from Catalyst Control Center a little bit to stop the edges of my display being cut off - checked the settings on the actual monitor, very basic, definitely not the issue, done a reset and everything. The info at the top right when switching to my HDMI input confirms the monitor is 1080p 60Hz.

The display quality itself appears quite low, as if I'm running it at a lower resolution, icons and text quite blurred etc. (ClearType has no effect).

On http://screenresolution.org/ I'm apparently running at 1536 x 864, and this is in fact the largest resolution I can run from games like Fallout 4 without cutting off portions of the screen, so it seems to be what I'm actually running at (this is the same even if overscan is reset).

All these issues are the same when connecting my laptop via the same HDMI cable - so could this be an issue with the monitor or cable?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Lutfij

Titan
To rule out the cable - try connecting your GPU to your monitor via the other 3 ports - DVI, DP and to rule out your monitor, borrow a monitor from your friend that is of the same resolution and try that out as well.

Now when we're talking about the R9 390 - did you install your graphics drivers via a clean install? You also stated that you upgraded to Windows 10 so when you were on your previous OS did you experience the same issue when you had the exact same setup(monitor+HDMI cable)? If so then it is the drivers or the OS causing the issue.

Download the latest AMD drivers from here.

Furthermore, can you please pass on your full systems specs?

Given that you are using HDMI and the error happens on all devices connected to the monitor, your monitor is acting as a TV and applying overscan to the input. Simply go into the monitor options menu (read your monitor's manual on how to do it) and disable overscan on the input.