Booting to black screen after BIOS

AlexHYS

Honorable
Nov 9, 2012
This is going to be quite a long story,so please bear with me.

I was using Windows 7 for about 2 years until I stumbled upon Windows 10 last month.I upgraded to it and used it happily for 2 weeks,give or take.Then the problems occur.

One day,after loading to BIOS,it booted to a black screen.No login screen,no cursor,nothing.I tried using the Windows troubleshooting utility and I've exhausted every option besides the wipe all your data option.

I tried booting with cmd,but it didn't do anything.Resetting PC with files intact also did nothing.Startup repair was the same case.System restore did not let me roll back due to some technicality.

In the meantime,I've tried installing Windows 10 on my other HDD,only to face the same issue after I rebooted.The Windows Media USB also did not help matters.

I'm really out of options here as I need to get some of my files out from my Caviar Black before I reformat it if I have to.

So now I have 2 useless copies of Windows 10 in both my HDD's.How do I fix this?Would appreciate fast replies as I've been without a computer for 2 weeks and I have to send in my assignment next week.

Thanks for reading my wall of text.

EDIT:For context,I sold my SSD and got a Caviar Blue 1tb.

Solution
Post some specs if you can. Also, does your PC do anything while the screen is black? Is the HDD active? Do you hear the boot sound playing?
Sometimes, maybe after a major change like the installation of a new device or OS, the VGA drivers have wrong settings and the card sends a resolution or refresh rate that your monitor cannot support. So the PC boots up normally, but there is no image on the screen. Usually booting into safe mode (or VGA mode) can give you a basic image (low-res, low refresh rate) so you can go to your settings and fix that.

Another issue, could be that you have two display outputs. One on your motherboard from an integrated GPU, and one from a normal dedicated graphics card. Sometimes after a change, the OS...

fixxxer113

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
Post some specs if you can. Also, does your PC do anything while the screen is black? Is the HDD active? Do you hear the boot sound playing?
Sometimes, maybe after a major change like the installation of a new device or OS, the VGA drivers have wrong settings and the card sends a resolution or refresh rate that your monitor cannot support. So the PC boots up normally, but there is no image on the screen. Usually booting into safe mode (or VGA mode) can give you a basic image (low-res, low refresh rate) so you can go to your settings and fix that.

Another issue, could be that you have two display outputs. One on your motherboard from an integrated GPU, and one from a normal dedicated graphics card. Sometimes after a change, the OS chooses the wrong display output and again you get a black screen.

That's two things that come to mind. You can also search the Microsoft knowledge base for issues like that. Very often you will find similar issues and solutions:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/search?query=windows%2010%20black%20screen

Solution

AlexHYS

Honorable
Nov 9, 2012
My specs are in my signature,namely:
AMD FX 8120
ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0
4GB ram
AMD/Sapphire HD 7870
1TB WD Caviar Blue
1TB WD Caviar Black
Corsair TX 850W

And no,the PC behaves likes it's idle but only a blank signal is on my screen.It behaved properly before last month so I doubt my monitor is the issue.I have on hand a USB disc with Windows Media Recovery installed.

fixxxer113

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
OK, the PC is pretty fast so that excludes the possibility of it simply taking too long to do some boot/update process. Also, just to exclude hardware problems, you could try the following:

1) Disconnect any device that is not needed to boot (2nd HDD, DVD drives, PCI cards except the graphics card, internal USB, Firewire, sound card connectors, even floppy drives). See if it boots normally.

2) Test your RAM with a tool like Memtest. Download Ultimate Boot CD which contains several diagnostic tools. It also contains a Linux OS with full graphical UI that can boot straight from the CD. That is a good way to test that your graphics card works properly.

3) See if you can find another graphics card to test, just to rule out the possibility of your card malfunctioning while trying to change resolutions (or maybe bad VRAM?). Ultimate Boot CD contains a Linux OS with full graphical UI that can boot straight from the CD. That is also a good way to test that your graphics card works properly.

Other than that, I think your best bet is to look through the Microsoft Knowledge base. The issue you are having might have many possible software causes.

May 14, 2018

hi, im having the same problem, i got a new gpu and when i boot in bios i get a blank screen, but when i go to uefi it says this system has detected a fatal error and has halted. my mother board does have an onboard gpu but i disabled it. everything works fine with my old gpu but the new one does this.

could you tell me how to boot in safe mode or how to make the OS choose the right display? any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.