PC freezing after leaving idle

cyber069

Reputable
May 18, 2015
When I leave my pc idle and the screen turns off/goes to sleep the pc freezes. I try waking it up with the keyboard and mouse but nothing happens. I have clean installed windows 10 and the problem still happened. I also installed the newest AMD drivers with no luck. I reset the bios to default, reseated the gpu and ram. I found that the PC freezes when both "sleep after" and "turn screen off after" are both "on" in the power options.

I tested to see exatcly when it freezes by leaving iTunes playing music and setting the screen to turn off after five minutes. About a minute after the screen went to sleep the music skipped and made a constant sound. The PC wouldn't repsond with keyboard or mouse so I have to hold the power button to restart it. When sleep mode is set by itself it goes to sleep just fine with no problems. I can wake the computer up hours later and it responds just fine. When gaming or web browsing there are no problems just when the screen goes to sleep. The monitor also does not detect a signal when the problem occurs.

Specs:
CPU: FX-6300
GPU: MSI R9 280
PSU: EVGA 500w 80+ Bronze
MB: Asus M5A97 R2.0
Memory: Kingston Hyper-X 4x2 GB
HDD: WD Green 2TB

Solution
I figured out the problem for myself at least. Apparently it was the catalyst drivers I had installed. The last two AMD drivers I installed had this problem. So I unistalled all the AMD drivers and used a driver cleaner to get rid of any leftover files. I installed AMD's new Crimson software and it fixed the problem

Arcal52214

Reputable
Nov 18, 2015
I think it is a problem with motherboard drivers, try installing them from DVD or manufacturer's website, if it doesn't solve anything then try to reinstall Windows 10 again (check if the build you installed is the latest one), also ... did it work normally on previous Windows versions?

TbsToy

Reputable
Oct 19, 2015
CPU: FX-6300. Have noticed that multiple people are having a lot of problems with this processor and W 10. Kinda makes me wonder if this processor is having problems coping with W10. It isn't exactly a state of the art processor and drivers or OS reloads won't help.
Walt Prill

cyber069

Reputable
May 18, 2015
I have reinstalled windows multiple times and it did not make a difference. Windows 8 it worked fine from what I remember but it was the enterprise evaluation. I don't have any other windows versions to test on this PC either. When do you mean by motherboard drivers? Like a BIOS update or something?

cyber069

Reputable
May 18, 2015

I have tried switching sleep times and turn screen off after.

TbsToy

Reputable
Oct 19, 2015
Would try to disable as many start up and running programs and processes as ya can without losing functionality and only run what ya need at the moment and see if things improve.
Sincerely,
Walt Prill

cyber069

Reputable
May 18, 2015

What I noticed when fresh installing windows was that the basic display adapter did not allow the computer to automatically sleep. I could set the screen to turn off after 5 minutes but there was no option for sleep. It only popped up when I installed the newest AMD driver.

cyber069

Reputable
May 18, 2015

Would booting in safe mode work? The problem is really annoying when I leave my computer and come back to find it frozen. The only way to solve it so far was to just leave the automatic sleep time on and set the turn screen off after to never.

cyber069

Reputable
May 18, 2015
I figured out the problem for myself at least. Apparently it was the catalyst drivers I had installed. The last two AMD drivers I installed had this problem. So I unistalled all the AMD drivers and used a driver cleaner to get rid of any leftover files. I installed AMD's new Crimson software and it fixed the problem

Solution