Windows freezes for a few seconds, every once in a while

shmu26

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2014
This is a problem that has been plaguing me across years and several computers.
Every hour or so, and it doesn't seem to matter what application I have open, Windows will become unresponsive for a few seconds. Then it will go away.

On this system I have 8 gb ram and I am running light applications. I have a new i-5 skylake processor and a good asus mobo. And a reputable SSD, too. I just installed windows 10 pro x64 a week ago. I have this problem even without third-party AV, as I found out after I uninstalled my AV.

And, as I said, the problem is not specific to this PC.
Is this just the way it is with Windows?

Solution
There seems to be a display driver problem with the new Skylake chips. I've had that same problem on my Surface Pro 4. Everything freezes for like a second then comes back. I'll get a little notification that the intel display driver failed.

Are you using just the CPU or do you have a GPU as well? See if you can reinstall the drivers for it. I did a full reinstall on my Pro and that seems to have fixed the problem for me at least.
There seems to be a display driver problem with the new Skylake chips. I've had that same problem on my Surface Pro 4. Everything freezes for like a second then comes back. I'll get a little notification that the intel display driver failed.

Are you using just the CPU or do you have a GPU as well? See if you can reinstall the drivers for it. I did a full reinstall on my Pro and that seems to have fixed the problem for me at least.

Solution
God no. You'll cripple the computer and have to reinstall windows from the BIOS to recover from that.

Look up your motherboard from the manufacturer site and download the latest drivers for it and reinstall them.

You can also in the device manager just hit the update button but that doesn't guarantee it will find a recent update and definitely won't reinstall the driver if Windows thinks it is working correctly.