What kind of OC could I achieve with this pc build?

MullysMelons

Reputable
Dec 23, 2014
Hi,
I am building my new pc on the 27th in the hope of some offers on black friday and maybe some on cyber monday and I've been looking into overclocking the CPU. The build is here

CPU: i5 6600k 3.5Ghz

CPU Cooler: Corsair H110i GT

RAM: Corsair 16gb vengeance 2666Ghz

GPU : MSI R9 390 8GB GDDR5

Motherboard: MSI z170a M5

PSU: EVGA SuperNova Nex 650W 80+ Gold

Operating Software: Windows 10

HDD: 1TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda

I was wondering how I should go about overclocking my CPU, What Ghz should I start at and go up to. I am hoping to reach about 4.5-4.6 Ghz if possible with a max of 1.35v maybe? Also some good free software to stress test my Overclock, How long to run the overclock for and what is considered stable. I understand the BIOS just dont wanna screw up my CPU or new pc is all. Thanks :D

sccman

Reputable
Nov 2, 2015
I like the enthusiasm you have for the new computer build! I was excited when I got my CybertronPC!

BEFORE YOU DO ANY OVERCLOCKING MAKE SURE YOU BACK-UP YOUR COMPUTER'S SOFTWARE WITH SYSTEM RESTORE! YOUR COMPUTER WILL FORCE A RESTART AND IT CAN CORRUPT YOUR OPERATING SYSTEM.

Now that we got that out of the way let's talk about overclocking. To overclock, you move the CPU Multiplier/Ratio up one click. After that, you go into the operating system and run a stress test on it. I ran OCCT's stress test for an hour to test the system out for my CPU. If your computer passes the stress test, move it up another Multiplier/Ratio click in the BIOS and stress test it again. When you find that the computer runs a Blue Screen of Death, move the CPU voltage up a click and stress test. If it still BSODs, move the voltage up until it quits doing that. Once it quits the BSOD, move the multiplier up a tick and repeat.

Also keep in mind that the voltage increases will generate heat on your processor. Make sure you monitor your CPU's temperatures because you don't want to torch your processor. You can use HWInfo for temperature monitoring.

The max temperature depends on the processor's make and model. I'm not too sure about Intel CPUs but AMD FXes can run at 60-62.5 degrees Celsius. It may take some research to find the max safe temperature.

MullysMelons

Reputable
Dec 23, 2014
How long should I run a stress test for? Also do I increase the clock above 100Mhz or should i leave that for now? Thanks :D

sccman

Reputable
Nov 2, 2015
I'm not 100% sure on how long to run a stress test for. I tried looking for a concrete answer but it seems it's based on personal preferences. Some people run them for 24 hours while some get away with 6 hours. Any way I see it, if it can sustain itself for an hour, the CPU can handle the voltage and clock combination for another 24 hours.

As for overclocking your CPU, you don't want to make radical jumps on the CPU ratio and voltage because that can potentially break the CPU. As I described above, you keep moving the clock ratio and voltage up in single increments until you hit the maximum safe temperature for your CPU. It takes time but it's the only optimal way to overclock the CPU with the least risk.

The point of overclocking is to increase the CPU's speed while staying within a safe temperature and voltage for the CPU. That way the CPU can still function while you play games, browse the internet, etc. If you're getting the Corsair H110i GT water cooler you said above, you'll find you can get a higher overclock than with the stock fan itself.

Latest posts