How to install windows on same PC, different drive

horsemeAT

Reputable
Oct 10, 2015
I've asked a similar question before, but this one with a different intention. I have a prebuilt computer that came with windows 8.1, it didn't come with an installation disc, or if it did i accidentally threw it away. So to find my windows product key i had to download magic jelly bean key finder. Now i right now have only a 500GB HDD, so i plan to add an SSD to run windows, and a few programs from. I don't want to copy the OS from my current drive over, i want to do a clean install of windows on the SSD. How would i do this?

Solution

This isn't creating a back up of your current system. This...

Wolfshadw

Titan
If your pre-built did not come with an OS or system recovery disk, it's likely on a (hidden?) partition on your hard drive. Check with your manufacturer's support site to see about creating a restore disk. Once you have that, then it's just a matter of removing your old hard drive, installing the new SSD, and then restoring your system from your restore media.

-Wolf sends

horsemeAT

Reputable
Oct 10, 2015

That's the thing, i don't want to backup my previous drive, i would rather have a fresh install of windows. It's on the same PC, same motherboard which means the product key is linked with the mobo, so do i need to get some windows download tool that activates it from product key then installs?

horsemeAT

Reputable
Oct 10, 2015

Why wouldn't the key work? It's the same pc with the same motherboard

Wolfshadw

Titan

This isn't creating a back up of your current system. This creates install media; essentially a Windows installation DVD, specific to your computer.

-Wolf sends

Solution

horsemeAT

Reputable
Oct 10, 2015

Ah thanks, there wouldn't be any conflicts if i just moved everything over any way right?

Wolfshadw

Titan

As I understand it, OEM product keys are rejected when attempting to download the ISO. I know none of mine worked.

-Wolf sends

horsemeAT

Reputable
Oct 10, 2015

Is it safe to at least try it?

If it is a Retail Key... as in you had a DVD to load it or a card w/ the key on it when it was built and the sticker put on the system (last not required) You should be able to get an ISO w/ the key, because it is not locked to a specific Mfg...

horsemeAT

Reputable
Oct 10, 2015

I didn't have any code on my system, or that came with the system. I was able to use a key find program and get the key though. would that still work?