Buying a Used GTX 970 AMP! Omega Core Off Local Ad Site

Salt_Lamp

Reputable
Oct 26, 2015
Hey everybody. I'm in the process of negotiating a deal on a GTX 970, but the seller won't go any lower than $350 (Canadian). I'm thinking of caving since it seems to be such a great deal, but I guess I just wanted to see what you guys thought before going any further. I'll provide the seller's description of the item below.

Another thing, is that I've never bought a video card off a local ad site before, ala Craigslist, so any info in how best to proceed would be much appreciated. I suppose I'll have to take my computer to this guy's house to test the video card, right? Assuming he doesn't rob me, of course. :lol:

Seller's description:

"Selling a two month old gtx 970 by zotac that's factory over clocked and barely been used. This comes with all original disk, box, sli bridge etc and plays literally any game maxed out I've tried on it. Excellent price still have box and all leads. Plays any game I have tried on it effortlessly like bf4 metal gear solid etc."

woot

Distinguished
Wonder why he would sell a two month old video card?, i would advise to stay away from second hand video cards, you can never know what happened to that card, overheating, overclocking....

Salt_Lamp

Reputable
Oct 26, 2015

Yeah, that does seem a little weird. According to him, he just doesn't use it very much, so now he wants to sell it. He also says that he still has the receipt and bought it off a Newegg sale. Not sure about the warranty, though. I'll have to ask him further about that.

Anyway, he's fine with me running a benchmark before we finalize anything, so that's a plus. You think $340 is a good price for this card?

woot

Distinguished

hmmm 340$ is pushing it, newegg.ca has them new for 450$, assuming that its never been overclocked and overheated and used only for two months, its not a bad deal.

Salt_Lamp

Reputable
Oct 26, 2015

Yeah, I'd tend to agree. My first offer was $315, but the guy was adamant that he'd only part with it for $350. Luckily, though, I got him down to $340, instead. Not much of a difference I know, but hey, at least it's something.

Also, does anyone know if Zotac does warranty transfers? This guy isn't sure if he registered it or not, but if he did, is there any way to get it transferred to me?

woot

Distinguished

Not sure about the warranty, maybe zotacs official site has some info on that.

Salt_Lamp

Reputable
Oct 26, 2015

Agreed, I'll definitely be looking into it. Thanks

By the way, here's the system I'll be putting it in, just in case you're wondering. I already swapped out the PSU.

System: http://

New PSU: http://

Salt_Lamp

Reputable
Oct 26, 2015
Well, I found some more information on Zotac's warranty policy and it appears they do not do warranty transfers, sadly. Not too surprising, however, since most manufactures out there don't really offer that sort of thing either. The only thing I'm confused about is the 30 day limit associated with product registration. It looks like that you get an extended warranty if you register within 30 days, but only a standard one after the fact. Is that correct? I'm not going to get screwed out of the warranty, am I? I'll provide more information below.

Still mulling over whether or not I should go through with this, so any other input would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Zotac Warranty Info: http://

woot

Distinguished

Not sure about the warranty rules, as i have never used hardware warranty to date, ask the seller if he registered it, another disadvantage of buying used, i would save up money for a new card and live without the worry.

Salt_Lamp

Reputable
Oct 26, 2015

Yeah, I decided to call it off. Like you said, it just wasn't worth the risk. Thanks.