Head gasket problem

Joe Porter

Honorable
Aug 12, 2013
Good morning,

My knowledge on cars is absolutely terribly but after a small amount of research I fear I may have a head gasket problem.

Car 2001 Renault Clio sport 1.2 petrol 111000 miles.

Symptoms: The radiator cap has a white gooey solution on it. It looks like oil may be mixing in with the radiator water.

I only use this car to go to work and back doing about fifteen miles each way. It never shows as overheating on the temperature gauge. From the research I have found though the symptoms I have generally point towards a head gasket failure.

Does anyone here with good car knowledge have any input on what it could be. The best way to get it resolved. How much I should expect to pay to get it fixed or if it is even worth getting it fixed bare in mind the age of the car.

If you need any more information please ask and i'll tell you what I can.

Thanks Joe.

Been in a similar situation and have an above average knowledge of cars but not an expert. I would expect head gasket but it could be other issues in the engine. Finding the problem and fixing it is going to cost more in labour than a 10 year old Clio is worth. Id just run it keeping a eye on water and oil levels until it gives up completely and you scrap it.

Also with 110k on a 1.2ltr 10 year old engine you could pay a lot to get it fixed and then something else serious goes pop. That engine probably doesn't have a huge amount of life left in it

Joe Porter

Honorable
Aug 12, 2013

That is kind of what I am thinking, I only bought the car for £800 a while back. I think that might be the best option. Just run it into the ground! Hopefully I can get a few more months out of it so I can save some money to get a new car! Unfortunately I just spent a decent amount on a new PC this week! Had I have realized sooner I would have put that money aside for a new car when this one gives way!