Should I pursue a 120 or 144Hz Monitor?

dhershman

Reputable
Nov 11, 2015
I am hunting down a Monitor set to finally replace my old ones I am using now. I want to at least buy a pair for a dual monitor setup with my GTX 970

Right now I am looking more at Wide screen Monitors, specifically I've had my eye on this one here:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824025122&cm_re=LG_25UM57-P_Black_25%22_5ms_GTG_HDMI_Widescreen_LED-_-24-025-122-_-Product

however this one is a 60Hz Monitor, now should I consider getting a 120Hz or 144Hz Monitor instead? I've read a few posts on here and they seem to go both ways so I'm not sure what to do. I play mainly games like Fallout 4, Space Sims, and large scale RTS games (like supreme commander). However I don't do too many FPS games.

Which makes me lean more towards no, I don't want to drop a pretty penny for monitors if the performance increase is noticeably minimal.

Are you planning on playing on both screens at once, because your GPU isn't really good enough for that kind of power, and an ultrawide has more pixels than 1080p, and thus requires even more power. You might be alright with lower power games on low-medium settings for an ok FPS, but don't expect miracles.

dhershman

Reputable
Nov 11, 2015

No I don't plan to use both at the once for gaming, it's more so one as the main monitor and the other for open web pages or if I am developing for extra space and screen load.