New Win 8.1 Desktop with 1TB HDD; want to clean install Win 10 on new add-on SSD

BIC2

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2015
I have a new store-bought Dell desktop that came with a 1TB HDD and Windows 8.1. First two things I want to do is buy & install a 256GB SSD for the programs and reserve the 1TB HDD for data as well as clean upgrade Win 8.1 to 10. I have not yet started the PC for the first time. How should I proceed? Thanks.

PS: I asked this in an existing thread and am now creating a new thread.

you have to turn the new pc on. register the pc and then let windows update the pc to windows 10. reboot the pc make sure windows 10 says you have a digital license. when you do use the new windows media creation tool. download windows 10 iso for your os. then download the windows iso to usb tool. you need a 8g usb stick to be safe that thta iso will fit. once you made the iso for safty make sure make a back up of the restore partion in case you have to reinstall it. once you ready boot from the windows 10 usb stick go to advance mode and remove all of the partions off the hard drive. then make sure there no partions on the ssd. remove them if there is. then tell windows installer to install onto the ssd. when the installer ask for windows key click skip it for now. when windows 10 boots it pull up your key for you.

USAFRet

Titan
Migrate the existing OS to the new SSD. This requires that the current used space be significantly smaller than the new SSD
Then, Upgrade to Win 10.
Then do a clean install of Win 10 ("Keep nothing") on the SSD.

Then...continue on with your specific applications.

rar_54

Honorable
Apr 21, 2012
Upgrade your current configuration to windows 10, which will carry your computer's drivers and optimized settings forward to windows 10. Purchase a Samsung EVO SSD and install it in your PC. Download the newest version of cloning software from the Samsung web site, since this is the one that works with Windows 10. Follow instructions to clone your current hard drive to the new SSD. Switch the HDD cable over to the newly cloned SSD, which will make it your primary "C" boot drive. Put the cable that was to your SSD on the HDD. Access BIOS on initial access to make sure the C drive is set for ACHI. Reformat your old HDD for use as additional storage.

Dell computers no longer come with "Restore Disks" that you can use to restore the system to the same OS, drivers, etc. that it came with from the factory. If you desire to have this capability, you must either:
1) Create a new "Restore Partition" on the new SSD, or
2) Back-up the Restore Partition to a USB flash drive.

If you ever want to sell the computer, this Restore capability will come in very handy!

More info HERE (LINK)

Also, be sure to leave at least 25 GB of the new SSD as "Unallocated" (Un-Partitioned) during installation. This allows the SSD plenty of extra space to use for "Garbage Collection" and other drive maintenance tasks which keep it operating as efficiently as possible.

Yogi

BIC2

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2015
For the past few Win 7 PCs, I've created restore DVDs. Should I create restore DVDs before changing Win 8.1 to 10 and moving it to the SSD? If so, can I/should I then create new restore discs for Win 10 on the SSD?

BTW, as recommended by this web site, I ordered the SanDisk Extreme Pro 240GB SSD. It was only $17 more than the Samsung 850 EVO. Should arrive by Nov 30. Thanks for all the responses; I'll work on it next week when I get the SSD and let you know how it turns out.

Your computer came with the Dell ver. of Win 8.1 OEM pre-installed, right? If yes, create your Restore Disks or Restore USB Flash Drive BEFORE the upgrade to Win 10. Also, if you do not already have it, use Belarc Advisor to retrieve your Win 8.1 product key.

Do NOT create a Restore Partition on the SSD! First, it takes up valuable space on your smaller drive and, second, if your SSD ever fails, you have no way to access the Restore Partition. Also, DO NOT use Dell's Backup and Restore. BAR will NOT work if you change the size of your drive that you want to restore to something other than the size of the original HDD.

You should have a USB HDD that you can use to make a Win 10 System Image, after Win 10 installation and regular back-ups of your important files, photos, videos, etc. Use a free back up program like EaseUS Todo Backup Free or SyncBack SE (Free).

Yogi

Hi,
Windows Media Creation Tool came out Nov 12th and has an image that allowed CLEAN INSTALLS without upgrading to W10 prior.

Apparently that got yanked and replaced so I'm unsure what's going on there.

I don't agree with some of the advice above.

Anyway, as per my advice on the previous thread, I'll just emphasize one point:

*After you update to Windows 10, unhook the HDD and use the created W10 install image (Media Creation Tool) to do a clean install to the new SSD. It should auto register, so if it asks for a key then just SKIP by that.

(Test, then hook HDD back up and if it boots to W8 change the BIOS boot order back to the SSD... format the HDD)

Update:
If it seems odd to update to W10 only to not use that and format it off the HDD then join the club. That's why we wanted the clean install method to bypass the update before clean install path, which again I'm unsure if it's an option right now or not from the media creation tool's image.

BIC2

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2015
I wound up being able to exchange the unopened desktop PC for another with other hardware specs & Win10 so didn't get to try out any of the widely varying suggestions. Did get the OS cloned over to the SanDisk SSD using the Dashboard included Apricorn EZ Gig IV Cloning Software. A few mouse clicks and it's done. Took less than 7 minutes to do the data transfer. Thanks to everybody for the suggestions.