How do I do a clean install of Windows 10 when I have an entitled Windows 10 on another drive?

mudskipperino

Reputable
Nov 22, 2015
I'm pretty sure this question has been answered already but I'm still unsure about what to do. I have an SSD that has Windows 10 on it which was upgraded from Windows 7 and it seems like Microsoft doesn't give out product keys for that. Therefore, how do I get that Windows 10 onto a new SSD without having to buy a new product key?

Solution
Since you already upgraded to Windows 10, your PC is now registered on MS servers as activated - that's the "Digital Entitlement" you see. You can wipe your drive and do a clean install anytime you want now. Just click skip whenever you're asked for a Product Key during install, it will automatically activate once the install completes.

rcxtra

Reputable
Sep 15, 2015
Since you already upgraded to Windows 10, your PC is now registered on MS servers as activated - that's the "Digital Entitlement" you see. You can wipe your drive and do a clean install anytime you want now. Just click skip whenever you're asked for a Product Key during install, it will automatically activate once the install completes.

Solution