Cannot Install Windows 10 64bit due to no Prefetch. Downgrade to 32bit?

gksmith

Reputable
Nov 23, 2015
I have been unable to upgrade my PC from Windows 8 64-bit to Windows 8.1, hence also not being able to upgrade to Windows 10. This is due to my processor not supporting PrefetchW and LAHF/SAHF per error messages. The Windows 10 message implies that this is only a problem with a 64-bit PCs. Can I reformat the drive, install Windows 7 32-bit and then upgrade to Windows 10 32-bit? If so, what is the process I should follow?

Thanks in advance!

Solution
Could you pass on your full systems specs? If you're running a system that has about 4GB's of ram or less than its best you move towards a 32bit installer and also guaging from your post it smells like an old gen Pentium, right?

Can I reformat the drive, install Windows 7 32-bit and then upgrade to Windows 10 32-bit?
You may and since you asked follow this tutorial on performing a clean install of Windows 10 and in it you'll find instructions to make a bootable USB installer with 32bit download instructions as well.

Prior to moving along with Windows 10, please make sure you have downloaded the necessary drivers. If you can state your system specs, we could help in sourcing drivers or providing additional workarounds.

Lutfij

Titan
Could you pass on your full systems specs? If you're running a system that has about 4GB's of ram or less than its best you move towards a 32bit installer and also guaging from your post it smells like an old gen Pentium, right?

Can I reformat the drive, install Windows 7 32-bit and then upgrade to Windows 10 32-bit?
You may and since you asked follow this tutorial on performing a clean install of Windows 10 and in it you'll find instructions to make a bootable USB installer with 32bit download instructions as well.

Prior to moving along with Windows 10, please make sure you have downloaded the necessary drivers. If you can state your system specs, we could help in sourcing drivers or providing additional workarounds.

Solution