Does a 144hz monitor produce more screen tearing than a 60hz?

hhjkkh10

Honorable
Jul 2, 2015
Hey I am just wondering this and I would also like to know if I only get 50fps on a game and have a 144hz monitor for example will I get more screen tearing than if I had a 60hz monitor?

Solution
Screen tearing happens from your GPU producing a higher frame-rate than your monitors refresh rate. So as long as you do not exceed 144 frames per second on a 144hz monitor you shouldn't experience any tearing.

Tommy_Ledge

Reputable
Dec 17, 2014
Screen tearing happens from your GPU producing a higher frame-rate than your monitors refresh rate. So as long as you do not exceed 144 frames per second on a 144hz monitor you shouldn't experience any tearing.

Solution
You can get screen tearing on a 60Hz or 144Hz screen, regardless of what the source fps is. The best way to minimize it is with vsync. The 144Hz screen refreshes a lot faster, so when tearing is present, its much less noticeable. I'm just noting this because of the situations where vsync isn't available, like video in a browser for example. In these cases, the refresh rate isn't evenly divisible by the source's frames per second. 144 isn't evenly divided by 23.97 or 30, for examples. In these cases, you may get tearing no matter what, but at least you would hardly notice. People with 60Hz screens might see more tearing in videos that are 23.97 (24) fps because there's half of a frame left over when dividing.

So the short answer, even when tearing is present, its much less noticeable on a 144Hz screen, but the fact that its 144 means some source material doesn't divide it evenly, actually introducing potential for tearing.

Screen tearing doesn't only happen if you exceed the refresh rate number. GPU's spit out frames as fast as they can, while a monitor has a set update number. As soon as the monitor wants the frame while the GPU backbuffer is copying it's frame to the framebuffer, that's when you get tearing. If you push 100-144 FPS on a 144 Hz panel, you can't really notice any screen tearing, even though it's happening way more often than on a 60 Hz panel.

The whole don't exceed the refresh rate, is a myth. You get screen tearing both above and below, and like said above, way less noticeable on higher refresh panels. As far as 'source material' is concerned. Videos can't screen tear. If they do, the problem can be traced back to the source. On a 144 Hz panel, 24 FPS look as smooth as it can get on a 144 Hz panel, where as on a 60 Hz panel, it's stuttering in comparison. Regardless wheter or not the refresh rate is 60 or 144, a video in a browser can't screen tear. Some settings is wrong then, or even the graphics driver is to blame. Videos and games are completely different things.