Can someone tell me how to obtain genuine copy of Windows 10?

varun706

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
Hello,

I had a Windows 8.1 machine that I upgraded to Windows 10 in July. It worked very well for me but I had a problem with my laptop; suspecting that the Windows 10 upgrade may be the culprit behind it, I wanted to revert back to Windows 8.1 but it was too late.

So, I went ahead and put Linux Mint 17. Now that I fixed the problem, I wanted to get back to Windows 10.
But I'm not sure it will activate my copy. I don't have the OEM key as the laptop came with Windows 8. I used Belarc System Advisor to get ahold of the key for Windows 10.

Now, tell me if I want to do a clean install of Windows 10; if I use the key from the Advisor will it work and will I get Windows 10 Home??

I'm asking this because, before I went with Linux Mint, I had a cracked copy of Windows 8.1.
When I used the key I got from Advisor ( I had gotten hold of the key used in Windows 8.1 from Belarc ), the installer denied the key saying it didn't work.

I would appreciate any help, suggestion in this regard. Thank You.

Mark_1970

Reputable
Nov 14, 2015

Cracked copy of win 8.1 lol, i wouldn't advertise that . You won't find a cracked copy of win 10, so this time you might have to pay. Reuse the cracked copy of 8, update to 8.1 then you will get the upgrade to 10 offer on the taskbar again, upgrade from that. Thing is the pc might of had driver/software/hardware issues/ compatibility with win 10 before and you may just get those issues back

varun706

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
I had absolutely no issues while running Windows 10 Home on my machine. It was my Bluetooth adapter that was bugging me.
I solved that by disabling the Bluetooth adapter which I don't use BTW.

I was using the legal copy of Windows 8.1 Single Language when I upgraded to Windows 10 ( I used Technical Preview for a month before upgrade ). I used Belarc software to note down the key of the machine which at that time had Windows 10 Home.

All I'm asking is if I were to remove my Mint partition and try to do a clean install, when it asks me for the key; if I use the key I noted down, will it accept the key?? I don't want to use the illegal copy of Windows 8.1 to get Windows 10.

Mark_1970

Reputable
Nov 14, 2015

Key? Probably not. Bluetooth had no support drivers under 10. My method would work above, not a great solution but it would work

holy_smoke_batman

Reputable
Jun 5, 2015
The OEM key may actually be on your laptop. I've seen the keys put in really stupid places before - like underneath the battery! Check all over.

orlbuckeye

Distinguished
You just need to use the Windows 10 migration tool and create an ISO. Windows 10 upgrade doesn't use a Key (persay) but when you do the upgrade a hash number is created and stored on MS servers. If you create a DVD or a flash drive using the ISO during the install Windows 10 will activate based on the hash #. Windows 10 does use keys for the retail and OEM full package (non-upgrade).