Where is Intel

JANDJMAM

Reputable
Nov 21, 2015
where did Intel go ? I have been building our workstation for more than 20 years and always used Intel MB and they always lasted. I just went to the Intel site and it looks like no desktop boards any more only server boards. I always went with above average units some times went with the extreme series when it called for bells and whistles. Can you recommend a new board mfg. to work with for the i7 and i5 CPU. socket can be 1150 but not sure the last one I did was 1155 socket Intel board dz77ga-70k.

JANDJMAM

Reputable
Nov 21, 2015

Well it's a general question for my company, some work stations I go with SSD'S ,blue ray recorders, raid drives
and vid cards and all must have sound and blue tooth. I just want to know what will be as reliable as Intel was with support and drivers before I get involved with a new company.You see with intel I would pick a board and then go to
the list of tested devices for that Board and PC and it was just easy for a dummy to build work stations Thay are always ATX form factor in mid tower cases for the desks..

Intel has not made too many boards for the modern generation of chips (LGA1150 and after) The older Z77 and LGA1155s boards are still around, but you are a couple of generations old now.

Are you located in the USA? Support will depend on your location and local suppliers.

Most of us on this site use boards from the major consumer manufacturers

ASRock
ASUS
Gigabyte
MSI

You might want to look at the current generation, with the LGA 1151 socket.

Just for reference, here's what my students at school do.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2625445/build-log-consolidated-middle-school-builds.html

JANDJMAM

Reputable
Nov 21, 2015

JANDJMAM

Reputable
Nov 21, 2015
Thank you so much for the links when I have some down time I will go through them all. The only question I have is the mfg. you are using like arock ( I think)

will they have support on the web pages and recommended ram,cpu's and the rest. And do they stand behind the product ? One build I did had a bad board and Intel made good in just a few days with a new one. Thanks again for your time.

Most of these consumer suppliers are based overseas from the US, so the main point of support is the wholesaler that sells you the parts. I use Newegg for most of my school parts and, in the few cases where there has been a problem, they have dealt with it by refunding my money or replacing the faulty part.

ASRock is a price/performance leader. ASUS has a more premium reputation and you pay for that. Gigabyte makes a huge range of products and will have something suitable. MSI is more gaming oriented and their low price boards are too 'light' for my taste.

Can you give me an idea of what one of your workstations consists of? What software are you running?

Jan 22, 2013 - Intel announced it will stop developing desktop motherboards once the Haswell motherboards are completed. Intel will continue to design and engineer chipsets; it is the development of new desktop boards that will cease after Haswell.

Intel will continue to supply desktop chipsets for use by 3rd party motherboard manufacturers like ASUS, ASRock and Gigabyte, but after 2013 it will no longer produce and sell its own desktop mITX/mATX/ATX designs in the channel.

JANDJMAM

Reputable
Nov 21, 2015
DonkeyOatie this is just one of our typical work stations I build for the sales dept. here.
Intel DZ77GA-70k,2-Raptor 10,000 rpm drive 500gig set up in raid 1 ,ATI vid card hd4670,
2-LG blue ray recorders (sata) PC Power and Cooling power supplies 600-750 watt (what ever
I can get at the time) from them.DDR3-1600 (2 sticks of 8) Kingston memory and some I put a floppy drive in.
Im thinking of doing what I see your students doing, getting 1- 500gig SSD drive and then a western digital
1TB regular drive most likely the blue series now that the Raptors are so $$$$. Thanks for the time you took
to advise me on whats what!

It seems like you do not need anything super-high performance.

This is an idea of a modern system which seems to meet your needs. No floppy drive. I'd be using Cloud or USB thumb drive instead.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($184.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Asus H170-PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($108.99 @ B&H)
Memory: Kingston Savage 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($147.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 6450 2GB Video Card ($42.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 430 ATX Mid Tower Case ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CSM 450W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full - USB (32/64-bit) ($90.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $865.88
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-25 08:43 EST-0500

Using previous generation, but still current, to save some money.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($159.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Asus Z97-E/USB3.1 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($83.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($32.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($147.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 6450 2GB Video Card ($42.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Thermaltake Versa H23 ATX Mid Tower Case ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CSM 450W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full - USB (32/64-bit) ($90.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $705.86
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-25 08:48 EST-0500

Many price parts are artificially low because of the current Black Friday frenzy, but it still gives you a close as to what you could get for the price.

JANDJMAM

Reputable
Nov 21, 2015
Well I looked at each part on each build, and I was amazed at the mix of MFG. I do have a question and please don't laugh when I hit the link for your SSD 850 EVO drives I saw a very strange looking "Drive" how the hell does that plug in and to what?. The one time I tried aSSD it looked like a lap top hard drive with a sata and power plug.

It has a SATA port for data and a power connector on one end. I use them in all the student builds. They do fit the standard 2.5" laptop form factor, although some are only 7mm thick, rather than 9mm. I've got some at school and could get you a detailed photo if you want.

The parts come from many vendors because no vendor makes the best or even good products in every segment and, if the do, their pricing is usually too high. Wit the exception of the case, which is cheaper than I like, and the GPU which is far too weak for me, every part is something I use, have used, or would use and buy with my own money.

JANDJMAM

Reputable
Nov 21, 2015

JANDJMAM

Reputable
Nov 21, 2015
Good morning and I hope your having a great holiday season. Well I am starting to buy parts for two new work stations and got hung up on the mother board. I was going to build per your suggestion on the build Asus H170-PRO and the only one I see has the word "GAMER" after the word pro is this the one you are telling me to use? I looked at a lot of your builds from students but I like the idea of going with Asus since I know the name and also the web site seems to give you plenty of info if needed.

JANDJMAM

Reputable
Nov 21, 2015

Well thanks for you help again and I will order this today and see how it goes, these new work stations will be used for simple tasks like excel and power point. im going to go to Kingston and get 2x8 on the memory unless you have any suggestions . Do you think I should use the on board video or buy a few cards, one will be using 2 monitors. Hey one more thing is it worth me going with an I7 or can I go with the I5 current generation ( whatever that is now ). Thanks for your time, JB

We need to keep things straight and avoid mixing parts from builds.

The ASUS H170 is current generation LGA 1151 intended for Skylake processors. A modern i5 like a 6500 or 6600 is plenty for what you want to do. If you have doubts, build one and do a thorough set of benchmarks using your real work and check that the performance is sufficient.

The new memory, DDR4, is Quad Channel and is a little faster if you have four sticks. That's why I went with the 4 x 4Gb. A total of 8Gb of DDR4 as 2 x 4 will likely be plenty, unless you know better from experience. Going up to 2 x 8 will allow for more windows and tasks to be open and to allow for bigger spreadsheets and other memory intensive applications to run well.

Onboard video is fine. All of the systems we build at school are fully benchmarked running on the iGPU of the CPU before any external GPU is added and they all perform very well on the basic office tasks.

I would recommend that you start your own benchmark suite to test and benchmark your computers so that you know their performance when they are new and fresh.

I would run the following free Benchmarks

3DMark - Gaming and graphics at four different levels of performance.
PC Mark 8 - A General business, personal use benchmark.
ASUS Realbench - Thoroughly tests graphics and processor
Caselab Euler 3D - Tests single and multi-thread CPU computation performance.

I keep a spreadsheet for every computer we build, with and without a graphics card and use it for base-line performance. (I use a bunch of other tests as well)