How do I move my HDD with windows 10 to new build?

procyonb

Reputable
Oct 16, 2014
Hi I'm planning to build a new pc and sell my current one, but I'll keep my HDD. I just installed windows 10 like a month ago and I like it. I'd like to know exactly what steps should I follow and in what order in order to move the HDD. When i had windows 7 I changed MOBO once and nothing happened so I don't think I have the OEM version.
Thanks.

PD: I would like to make a clean install to get rid of a lot of programs and files I no longer use.

USAFRet

Titan
Where did the Win 10 come from? An upgrade from your old WIn 7?

Find your Win 7 install media and license key
Build the new PC
Install Win 7
Activate it. This may involve calling MS
Let it run all the current updates
Then...Upgrade to Win 10.

You might get lucky just moving the drive, but I wouldn't put money on it. Doubtful it will boot, or remain activated if it does actually boot up.

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
You will need to clean install 10 , and if it was a windows 10 upgraded from a 7 or 8 , you need a new license as it's tied to the previous hardware.

Clean installs for hardware changes

If something major happens to the device that requires something as monumental such as a motherboard change (basically turning it into a new computer), Windows 10 will require re-activation – which will require you to purchase a license. This is what Microsoft means when it says "life of the device." Additionally, you can't transfer a license to a new device. But, if something disastrous does happen, it's usually more cost-effective to just buy a replacement device anyway and that should come pre-loaded with Windows 10. However, if you happen to buy a new device with an older OS installed, you can get the free Windows 10 upgrade as long as it falls in the free upgrade offer period.

http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/how-windows-10-will-handle-clean-installs