Bringing computer parts on an airplane from the US to the EU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boeingmaniac27

Reputable
Nov 25, 2015
Hello all,

I have been browsing on this forum for years now, but never though to make an account. I have decided to make an account as I have a rather important question that I'd like suggestions on.

Since the holidays are coming up, there are discounts almost everywhere on computer parts in the USA. I have family there, and some of my family members are travelling to the USA this Chirstmas.

So, my question: I am planning on buying a CPU, GPU, ram, motherboard, and storage (hardrive+ssd) this week in the US. Then, after the holidays around January, my family will travel back to the EU. I was wondering, is it possible to transport these parts via hand luggage on the airplane? I would like the parts to be in original packing as I am picky in that way, but would remove any receipts or price tags, including maybe making the packaging look used. Has anyone had experience with this before, and maybe have some tips? They will be travelling via Nashville and Chicago.

Or, is it best to pack all the parts in one package and add some other random stuff, then send it across via airmail to the Netherlands. Can they then still hit you with vat over the parts or will you just pay the shipping? Surely, they cannot open it and go through it and see parts, to then charge me vat for them?

I have been searching on the net for my answers, however haven't found them 100%. The threads I did find, are over 2 years old. Any suggestions or tips will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you for your time.

Regards,
Samuel

Surely, they cannot open it and go through it and see parts, to then charge me vat for them?
You're legally required to fill in a customs sheet detailing what's in it. If they suspect it's fake or have other issues (is this a bomb/drugs?), they can certainly open it.

I'm not in the US. I hear bad things about the TSA all the time, but I don't know what they'd do - it likely depends on who you run into. I think they have a policy of requiring that you show electronics can turn on (as if that means there isn't a bomb in them...), which could be hard with bare components.

Boeingmaniac27

Reputable
Nov 25, 2015

Thank you for the quick answer. If I explain there is second hand PC parts in the package as well as adding some other stuff for my family, would this help in any way?

Ralston18

Titan
I am sure that other people have carried computer parts before. However, I agree with Someone Somewhere that "likely depends on who you run into".

In any case do not attempt anything that appears to be deceitful, tricky, or otherwise trying to mask what you are doing.

Suggest this:

http://www.tsa.gov/

Search "Computer Parts".

Here is the link I ended up with:

http://apps.tsa.dhs.gov/mytsa/cib_results.aspx?search=Computer%20parts

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i have never tried this so not sure if it will make it through tsa unopened. electronics have to be shown to be able to turn on. but parts in a box will still show in the xray for being electronic and i'd say it is a crapshoot at what tsa agent is standing there at the time to how it will be handled. you can call the tsa or even better the actual airport they will depart from and ask some questions. they can offer some guidance and maybe even further contacts to speak to.

some of it is so silly, but if you can workout early approval then some headaches can be avoided. i had to do some answer seeking for a grandmother who used oxygen. was all kinds of trouble to figure out what she could and could not bring on the plane. but we got it pre-approved and on flight day it was as simple as showing the approval form from their boss.

if you can do something similar, this would save a lot of worry.

Whatever you do - put these parts in the checked lugage. Don't get PSU - it is bulky, probably 120V only, and will raise suspictions. Make sure everything is packed so that it is easy to be inspected, and repacked.

Finally - judge for yourselves whether the $100 you will save are worth the troubles.

Status
Not open for further replies.