Windows 10 seems to have Reset, without me telling it to do so.

Druark

Reputable
Nov 25, 2015
Windows 10 seems to have Reset, without me telling it to do so.
I shut-down my PC last night after playing some games (Battlefront, Space Engineers) just like I always do and it shut down like normal. This morning though when I logged in, EVERYTHING that was a user setting seems to have been completely reset or removed. The customisation, desktop background even Chrome Extensions are gone. The more worrying bit was that My Documents folder and the other libraries were empty as well but I found those in my normal C:\Users\Ben folder where all my documents would be anyway.

I have no idea why its removed all of my data but this is a serious issue for me as I actually need to use some of the features which were broken by this and I don't want to spend hours setting it all up again just for Windows to screw it up, again.

Solution
Hello Druark

Looks like your user profile got corrupted due to some reason.

I would strongly suggest you to Backup All Your Data and to be on the safer side, manually copy your profile folder to a different - rather safe - location.

After this, use any other administrator account to remove your user account without deleting your files, create a new user account with the same name, log off and then log back in with the new account to see if all your settings are back.

If the above fails, you can manually copy your profile folder to the C:\Users directory.

If nothing works, your best bet would be to Restore Your Computer to Yesterday or the Day Before, i.e. when your PC worked fine.

Hope this helps. :)
Hello Druark

Looks like your user profile got corrupted due to some reason.

I would strongly suggest you to Backup All Your Data and to be on the safer side, manually copy your profile folder to a different - rather safe - location.

After this, use any other administrator account to remove your user account without deleting your files, create a new user account with the same name, log off and then log back in with the new account to see if all your settings are back.

If the above fails, you can manually copy your profile folder to the C:\Users directory.

If nothing works, your best bet would be to Restore Your Computer to Yesterday or the Day Before, i.e. when your PC worked fine.

Hope this helps. :)

Solution