Deleted windows.old now PC wont start and is stuck on windows logo.

Kidagine

Reputable
Nov 25, 2015
Like I said I tried to delete windows.old to free some space,just when I did my whole PC froze so I restarted my PC then the windows logo would be stuck, I tried using a usb boot but again I am faced with a stuck windows logo, I then tried going to safe mode but it gets stuck when loading windows files on aswRvrt.sys, then I tried installing windows 8.1 but it again gets stuck on windows logo.Any ideas would be much appreciated, because I can't find any solution.

Kidagine

Reputable
Nov 25, 2015

I did it like an idiot and just right click and press delete, while it was deleting my whole PC froze and all that happened. Maybe I have other issues but all that happened when I tried deleting windows.old so it must have something to do with it?I guess?

USAFRet

Titan

Windows.old won't delete like that. It will cough up an error.
You have to go through Disk Cleanup.

But since attempting a full reinstall also fails...other issues would seem to be the cause.

Kidagine

Reputable
Nov 25, 2015

Sure there must be another problem but it can't be a coincidence that it happened after I deleted window.old, any ideas on something I could try?Sorry my PC knowledge must be annoying :/

USAFRet

Titan

The manufacturer (Western Digital, Seagate, Toshiba, etc) has a diagnostic tool to check this.