Home network help for file sharing

Jonathan Cave

Honorable
Oct 17, 2013
Hello.

I have 2 PC's at home and i want to share my E:\ on my main PC (Win10 Pro) with my HTPC (Win 10 Home)

I have created a homegroup on the main PC and the HTPC has joined it using the password.

I don't want to use the built in streaming service and simply want to be able to browse the network share on the main PC.

I can see the HTPC, but cannot access it

screenshot_119.png

I can access 'videos' shared on the main PC via the homegroup from the HTPC, but i cannot see the computer under 'network'
my main PC cannot access 'videos' on the HTPC via thehome group.

The main PC is hardwired to the router, and the HTPC is wireless.

Its as though my PC cannot connect , view or 'see' anything on the HTPC, however my HTPC can only see the homegroup and files, but cannoy see the main PC in the network.

Never had these issues with W7.

In summary:

Main PC can see the HTPC under 'network'
HTPC cannot see PC under 'network'
Main PC cannot connect to HTPC (as per pic)
HTPC can see homegroup shares on main PC
Main PC cannot access homegroup shares on HTPC.

Any help appreciated.

Do this on both PC's. Go to the control panel, network & sharing center, then click on advanced sharing settings.

Under current profile, make sure it set like this.

https://gyazo.com/4501b1de14061501ec5ea4da857817f9

Then under all networks, make sure these are set

https://gyazo.com/2d7ee9ec820b5210b5186ff0cbac7766

Give that a try and let me know. You might have to stop sharing and start sharing again.

Also, weird windows quirk. Sharing a drive creates all kinds of problems. Sharing a folder, no problem. My shared HTPC, I made a folder called Media, dumped it all in there and then shared that. Trying to share E: only creates many permission issues for some reason.

Jonathan Cave

Honorable
Oct 17, 2013
Hi getochkn

I've applied the settings on both PC's as per the gyazo screenshots and decided to share folders instead.

I am able to read/write from my HTPC to my main PC share now via the homegroup.
I am unable to read/write to the share on my HTPC from my main PC.

It's like my main PC is struggling to communicate with the HTPC, but the HTPC can read/write to the main PC no problem

Maybe shut down both pcs for a few minutes, see if that clears things out. windows networking is strange and seems to keep "Ghosts" trapped around. also what happens when you try through "network" in your file explorer. Ive' never used the homegroup thing in my life. windows networking has enough issues without adding something else. lol.

Jonathan Cave

Honorable
Oct 17, 2013
In windows 7, i simply accessed the drive shares using the admin/password for each PC it was really easy!

I've tried resetting both PC's
screenshot_121.png

^^ my main PC can see the HTPC on the network but cannot access it at all, it can also see the homegroup share, but cannot access it at all.

My HTPC cannot see the main PC, but CAN access the homegroup share.

Something is up with my main PC i think

Jonathan Cave

Honorable
Oct 17, 2013
Yes i see the PC in network like your picutre (sorry i edited my post afterwards, you can see what i see now)

Yes i've also tried sharing a folder outside of the 'user' e.g. C:\temp\download\ but it simply cant connect. there must be soemthing on my HTPC which is preventing it from accessing anything on the network.

Jonathan Cave

Honorable
Oct 17, 2013
i do not ******* believe this, the issue was because i used a 'pin' on main PC instead of a password. Now both PC's are working as they should and i can create shares etc....

what a balls up from microsoft.... FFS

Now we have that out of the way you look like you have some serious networking going on in your home and i want to pick your brains ;)

What is the best method for streaming blu ray backups from my PC to my HTPC (my HTPC doesnt have a bluray drive and the slimine one i need is £100!)

If you have them ripped to your HD, Kodi should play them over the network. Now that you have the share going, you should be able to add it to kodi. My one living room HTPC is only an old core2duo and can play back bluray backups no problem over the network in 1080 full DTS sound.

Jonathan Cave

Honorable
Oct 17, 2013
So there's no need for any fancy media server software like plex ? whatever plex is.... i'm a networking noob.

here's my build - it doesnt have a dedicated gpu

Intel Pentium G3258 (will be overclocked)
Gigabyte Gigabyte GA-H81M-H
1 x 4GB Hyperx Fury Ram
120GB Sandisk SSD
Silverstone ML05 case.
EVGA 500w 80+ PSU