Driver Power State Failure - Windows 10

macecraft

Reputable
Nov 26, 2015
Hello,

So I just got a new custom built laptop and I've been having a re-occurring problem with it. I'll describe the preceding events and subsequent attempts to solve the problem. I hope that the information I provide can result in someone being able to help me:

So I firstly installed Window 10-64 bit Educational Version on my laptop, and updated drivers for the following:
-nVidia GeForce GTX 960M
-Intel(R) HD Graphics 530
-Intel(R) Wireless-N 7265
-Realtek Digital Output

(There probably was other drivers installed on that day, but I can't quite find the record of them)

So on the same day as I installed these updates I got a BSOD that gave me an error of:
DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE.

I've looked through BlueScreenView to look at the .dmp files and it points to the ntoskrnl.exe, but after reading online I tried uninstalling drivers and installing the newest versions for them etc.

I've installed all Windows updates I can find, and made numerous attempts to hunt around for the cause but I'm clueless. So I've come to a place where people are significantly more tech-savy than I am! If anyone has any questions I will try my best to provide either data or answers back. I just want to get this problem solved haha!

Solution
You can go through Device Manager to manually disable the operating system’s ability to toggle power on and off for a device. Simply right click the device in question and select Properties, then uncheck the box Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power under the Power Management tab.

Network adapters and USB devices are the first devices I would try.

WinOutreach2

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2011
You can go through Device Manager to manually disable the operating system’s ability to toggle power on and off for a device. Simply right click the device in question and select Properties, then uncheck the box Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power under the Power Management tab.

Network adapters and USB devices are the first devices I would try.

Solution