Monitor(s) for photo editing. Replacing dual 17" CRTs..

00Samm

Reputable
Nov 26, 2015
I primarily use my computer for photo editing and graphic/web design work, but I also take a break every now and then and play games (mostly the Sims). However, the photo editing is much more important than gaming performance. I'd like one that's great for photo editing and maybe just doesn't completely suck for gaming.

I've been reading posts, blogs, articles, etc. as this is the first time I'll be purchasing a flat panel monitor. All the information is overwhelming, to say the least. But after all the reading, I'm thinking possibly the ASUS PB278Q? Would this give me approximately the same amount of work space as my current setup? And, strange question, but does anyone know how easy would it be for a cat to knock over? My office is also the room I use to foster cats, some of them can be quite rambunctious.

1. What Is Your Country Of Origin? US

2. What do you plan to do with this monitor? (ex. Games, Movie Watching, Photo Editing, etc.) Photo editing, graphic/web design, some gaming

3. What resolution and screen size do you want? Not sure. I work on two 17" CRTs currently, and would like to have approximately that same workspace or more.

4. What refresh rate do you want? (ex. 60 hz , 70 hz.) Not sure, I'm thinking at least 60hz?

5. How much are you looking to spend? I work for a very small non-profit, so less is better. I'd like to spend no more than $300, but anything over $400 is really not feasible.

6. Brands Preferred (ex. Samsung, Acer, Asus, AOC, HP, Viewsonic, etc. ) N/A

7. Brands Not Preferred (state reason why) N/A

8. Are You Buying More Than One Monitor? I'm open to it. I'm not sure if it would be more economical to get one good monitor for photo editing and then get a "regular" monitor that can basically hold the tool palettes.

9. How Many Displays Can Your GPU Support Maximum? And what GPU and driver version are you using if applicable? I've got a GeForce GTX 650, and it says it can support up to four monitors.

10. What Port Do You Want To Connect To (ex. DVI-D, HDMI, etc). Doesn't matter.

11. Is This Monitor A Primary Display Or A Secondary Display? Primary

12. Is This A Secondary Display For A Laptop? No

Solution
Good news for you: pretty much anything you get will be better than what you have for what you are doing.
The PB278Q is a great screen: I use two of them. Right now, I think it is a little over priced. I think the newer PB258q offers a better value. It packs the same resolution into a smaller package with smaller bezels. The 27 in 1080p IPS screens also are a good value.
It would be possible for a cat to knock over the asus or similar screen, but it would take some effort. They are pretty solid and most cats have enough sense to not leap into them.
Good news for you: pretty much anything you get will be better than what you have for what you are doing.
The PB278Q is a great screen: I use two of them. Right now, I think it is a little over priced. I think the newer PB258q offers a better value. It packs the same resolution into a smaller package with smaller bezels. The 27 in 1080p IPS screens also are a good value.
It would be possible for a cat to knock over the asus or similar screen, but it would take some effort. They are pretty solid and most cats have enough sense to not leap into them.

Solution