Reinstalling Windows 10 if you had the Free Upgrade from 8.1

Ben Thomson

Reputable
May 26, 2015
I'm getting an SSD within the next few weeks and I'm unsure of how to install Windows 10 since I upgraded directly from 8.1 with the Free Upgrade. I have no disc and I've had no email with any download links or anything so I'm really not too sure how to do a fresh install on a new drive. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
use the link above and make either a dvd or usb drive of the win 10 disk. then boot to it and install like always. when it starts asking for a key, just skip that step. twice i believe it is asked for. then once it is done and your looking at the desktop, you'll find it is already activated.

little tip: install the ssd and unplug the old hdd for now. once windows is running, then plug it back in. this will help avoid a lot of issues that can pop up. once this is done, you can format the other drive or delete the windows folders and such as you need/want to from this old hdd.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
use the link above and make either a dvd or usb drive of the win 10 disk. then boot to it and install like always. when it starts asking for a key, just skip that step. twice i believe it is asked for. then once it is done and your looking at the desktop, you'll find it is already activated.

little tip: install the ssd and unplug the old hdd for now. once windows is running, then plug it back in. this will help avoid a lot of issues that can pop up. once this is done, you can format the other drive or delete the windows folders and such as you need/want to from this old hdd.

Solution

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador

is this also true for win 7 keys? that would make things a bit easier for some users who feel like skipping the key entry is somehow limiting their windows. been a while since i have done this but seems like a nice little addition for the fearful users who like putting a key in SOMEWHERE!! :D

Yes, key from W7 too. When upgrading regular way you are limited to W7 with Sp1 and W 8.1. Clean install from any version of 7/8/8.1. Skipping entry doesn't limit anything but not needed if underlying windows upgrading from is activated on same MB.
Who wants a clean install (it's better anyway) can do it even from freshly bought windows but has to enter registration.
P.S.
I didn't have any problems although my W10 had full upgrade path, Vista > W7 >W8 >8.1 and now 10.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i know skipping the key changes nothing but have been asked a number of times here and at home from folks who could not believe that skipping the key would not hurt the install at all. they fought me tooth and nail to JUST PUT SOMETHING IN THAT BOX!!! lol

so my comment was more, "at least those people can feel better by getting to put something into the box" :D