Haswell EX (E7) CPU's use socket LGA 2011-1 ?

MushroomMap

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
Thanks for the reply. I looked at the link you posted but I don't understand how it answers my question. It appears to confirm the two links I posted already that show that the Haswell EX (E7) CPU's are specified as using socket LGA 2011-1.

So my question remains unanswered:

Does this mean they are compatible with the X79 chipset, and X79 motherboards that support Xeon?

There is "pin compatible" for which the answer is "yes", but then there are "function compatible" and for that the answer is most likely "no" - Admittedly it is *very* hard to find any concrete information, but it would appear that the E7 Xeon processors are supported by the Intel C602J chipset. However, no mention anywhere explicitly confirms this and the Intel Ark pages do not even list compatible products.

At around $4k per processor, this is rarefied atmosphere that is most likely not the domain of the vast majority of Tom's contributors. I would think that our collective knowledge pool peters out at the Xeon E5 range.

MushroomMap

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
OK that makes sense, I guess I would assume for now the answer is "no" unless someone gets physical product, tries it, and sees what happens.

Master BB-8 R

Reputable
Dec 31, 2015
No, the E7 2011-1 socket is NOT compatible with the regular 2011 socket of X79. Too bad as this makes the selection of motherboards practically nonexistant and you're basically forced to buy a complete system from e.g. Supermicro,