Should i upgrade from a 60hz monitor to a 144hz monitor (1080p gaming)?

Isaiahman2000

Reputable
Nov 28, 2015
My gpu is an asus strix gtx 980 with 6gb of vram, and an i7-5820k at 3.3ghz and i want to play Witcher 3 with more than 60 fps b/c it seems to be capped there. I tried turning v-sync off and it went up to 70-80 fps, but with screen tearing and in some really demanding areas, it goes down to 48-55 fps.
Should i get a 120 or 144hz monitor or is it not necessary?

Solution
If your only concern is The Witcher 3, no there's no reason to. However if you play other games (particularly FPS) or games with lower requirements I think a 144hz display is an excellent purchase decision to make.

bailojustin

Distinguished
Its not needed, its just more stress on your card. the difference between 60 and 120 is only noticeable to a very trained eye. its more money and if your card cant keep up with the 144mhz or 120 then you are just wasting GPU power. Caps your frames at 60, stay at 60 fps and refresh rate, this enables the smoothest gameplay for your card. if you were to SLI I would say sure get 120 or 144, but as for now, fps capped at 60, make gameplay flow smoothly and flawlessly, also allows your card to dedicate its resources to actually rendering and allowing you to play the game rather then playing catchup with the refresh rate.