Is there a section in Tom's hardware, where i can ask programming questions?

Lumia925

Reputable
Oct 16, 2014
I'm learning the C language.
If I face a problem with some code segment I cannot understand, or encounter a situation where I cannot think of an algorithm to solve the given problem, which section of Tom's do I post my question in?
The closest match looks like "Apps general discussion", but I cannot find a programming and design section.

Solution
"Apps general discussion" is probably the best place to post your problems. But, beware - if they sound like homework problems then you will get short shrift. By all means ask questions about a particular point that you don't understand. If it's a program that you are trying to write you need to show the relevant code that you have written and explain in what way it is not working.

I think you will find plenty of knowledgeable folk here who are more than happy to give a hand to someone who has put in the effort but is struggling with a particular point or concept.

Lumia925

Reputable
Oct 16, 2014
Stack Exchange is too judgmental. Experts there mock me for asking "stupid" questions. IMO, stack exchange is not for beginners, it's for experts who're stuck on an expert problem - Tom's is much more friendly, members here are generally respectful to everyone, and both experts and beginners can ask questions without the constant fear of being laughed at..

I had a stack exchange account, but I requested a moderator to remove me from their site after I was publicly humiliated for asking why clrscr(); doesn't work in modern MingW compilers, even when the <conio.h> is included.

Thanks for the answer Someone Somewhere..

McHenryB

Admirable
"Apps general discussion" is probably the best place to post your problems. But, beware - if they sound like homework problems then you will get short shrift. By all means ask questions about a particular point that you don't understand. If it's a program that you are trying to write you need to show the relevant code that you have written and explain in what way it is not working.

I think you will find plenty of knowledgeable folk here who are more than happy to give a hand to someone who has put in the effort but is struggling with a particular point or concept.

Solution
agreed, there has certainly been talk of a programming section, the latest of which is here http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2787476/tom-site-programming.html

still just idle talk at the moment. agreed, general discussion is probably the best area for now until anything gets implemented (if it gets implemented). i agree with SS that we tend to get more homework questions or people looking for someone to do everything more than anything on such topics.

Lumia925

Reputable
Oct 16, 2014
I can't ask homework questions, I'm not in a school :)
I'm 31 years old, and learning C on my own, no one's there to give me a homework. My only "teachers" are two books on C, and you guys :)

We don't really have a "Programming" section, although it has been requested so hopefully we'll get one eventually.

However, I'm a C guru (embedded systems engineer). Feel free to PM me any questions that you may have.