Can't Click on White Cortana Search Entries Windows 10 1511 [SOLVED!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ransome

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
On my 2nd PC, I can't click on any white search items. Meaning I open the start menu, type something, find what I need - but when I click on it nothing happens.

For instance if I search: Windows Update - and I try pressing on "Check for Updates" it won't work - I click but nothing happens, its unresponsive.

A few instances of search entries that won't respond to clicks:

Update Settings, check for updates, apps and features, about your pc, add or remove programs (white),
The only white thing that works is Cortana Search Settings, choose backgrounds.. etc.

The only thing that clicks so far is Cortana's settings. Everything else is not working.
So in other words the fancy feature of Windows 8/8.1/10 is totally bugged for me.

Ransome

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
PROBLEM SOLVED!!!
Had a muse and a moment of inspiration all of the sudden and found the solution.
I am posting it here for anyone who might encounter this bizarre bug:

Go to the search bar.
Type: "search"
Click on "change how windows searches"
Click on the entry: "Start Menu" and click "Advanced"
Under "Troubleshooting" click on "Rebuild".
This deletes and rebuilds your search index.

Repeat the same process in "DesktopBackground" just in case.

Viola!! Windows Search and Cortana are working once more!
I can finally find and CLICK on white search entries.

Huzzah !!
Humanity 1, PCs 9999999999999999999999 !!!

kevin555

Commendable
Mar 8, 2016

you made my day, I was just about to reinstalling win 10

thanks!!!!

Ransome

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012

You are more than welcome friend! I'm delighted to hear my fix is useful and helps people after all this time.
Enjoy Windows 10 1511!

jim43

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
You made my day as well!! Fixed all my problems with not being able to click on certain windows search results, after trying numerous others steps offered by microsoft reps, this simple fix worked perfectly. I have just one question, what do you mean by "repeat the same process in 'DesktopBackground'..."?? I have tried to figure out how to repeat this process with DesktopBackground but I have failed and don't quite understand what you mean, thanks. I tried to search for "desktopbackground" with no results as well..

Ransome

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
Um should be there in "change how Windows sraches", but don't worry about it.

I just suggested doing the same process of rebuilding the index for "Desktopbackground", just to be safe. (for me - located in the same window where "Start Menu" is ).

If you don't have it for some reason, don't worry. If everything else is working and the Search is fine now after the fix, than you should be all good, friend.

Enjoy!
I am very glad this thread and solution helped you too buddy, it's my pleasure!!

After long few day of dealing with weird pc/gpu fixes myself - hearing my little post still helps people -made my day a new :)

jim43

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
Thanks again. Yea it doesn't show up so I'm not going to worry about it, everything running smoothly. Hope you get your newest problem sorted before too long. Glad we have a few clever people on these forums like yourself who are more competent at providing solutions than most microsoft reps.

Although as you stated, the pcs are still winning in the bugwarz 99999999999999999 times to our 1. smh lol

jim43

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
Oh sorry I forgot to ask, when you're done sorting out your current gpu issues, maybe you can take a crack at my small issue here: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-3094041/candy-crush-soda-app-growing-size-stop-uninstalling.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS