Can I use my 1440p 144hz Gsync monitor on old pc?

strakt1

Reputable
Nov 26, 2015
Solution
here's a simple dvi to hdmi 6 ft cable http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA86V31W4191&cm_re=dvi-i_dual_link_to_hdmi-_-9SIA86V31W4191-_-Product

not to be silly or anything, the connections were named male and female for an obvious reason. if you look at the picture of the card you have you will notice the dvi connection is full of holes. kind of like a female.. *wink wink* the cable i linked to has a dvi connection with a bunch of *ahem* appendages sticking out of it, kind of link a male....... :D just like in the birthing room, a quick visual inspection is usually all that is needed to tell male from female!!

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador

strakt1

Reputable
Nov 26, 2015
I read somewhere that to use an adapater, the displayport has to be on the actual pc itself with the DVI port on the monitor.. some people say it doesn't work the other way around ( DVI -D on pc, and displayport on monitor)

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i have never tried it myself. i have done dvi to hdmi multiple times and dvi to vga as well but never messed with display port yet. i don't see any technical reason for it not to work. that and the fact that if it did not, then the items for sale would have nothing but "does not work" for reviews.

just my thought on it. just be sure the right end is what you need it. you want male dvi to male display port.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
1080p might be the max for it. the adapter does not change the limitations of the dvi port. a dvi-d port (dual link) can do 2560 x 1600 but a dvd-i (single link) can only handle 1080p. no idea which one is on your card but probably only dvi-i

strakt1

Reputable
Nov 26, 2015
I can do Dual DVI to displayport 1.2, or dual dvi to hdmi 1.4 since my monitor can support either displayport or hdmi...

Do you think you can link me either one? I don't really understand the whole male/female thing!

Thank you so much for the help btw

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
here's a simple dvi to hdmi 6 ft cable http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA86V31W4191&cm_re=dvi-i_dual_link_to_hdmi-_-9SIA86V31W4191-_-Product

not to be silly or anything, the connections were named male and female for an obvious reason. if you look at the picture of the card you have you will notice the dvi connection is full of holes. kind of like a female.. *wink wink* the cable i linked to has a dvi connection with a bunch of *ahem* appendages sticking out of it, kind of link a male....... :D just like in the birthing room, a quick visual inspection is usually all that is needed to tell male from female!!

Solution