Recommended UPS for General Use

cpres75

Reputable
Nov 21, 2015
I am looking for a recommendation on a decent UPS for general everyday use. My thought is I would spend $50-$75 and find something that will keep the computer on long enough to shutdown everything during a blackout. Ideally I would want to find something that would auto power down the computer if I am not at home, so hopefully that software is included and is Win 10 compatible.

After doing some research it looks like these cheap power supplies are not recommended and they won't hold up over time. Most recommendations I saw from various websites are saying that you need to spend $150-$200.

During any type of thunderstorms I will power off my computer and typically unplug it, so I am looking more for those unexpected power losses.

The Power Supply I am using is a SeaSonic M12II 520W. It's running with a Intel i5-6500 processor on a Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI motherboard. I will also be powering a monitor (unknown brand at this time since I will be getting a new one), a printer, external HDD, router and cable modem.

Thank you in advance.

UPDATE: Based on some info I found online it says that I would need a UPS with a minimum rating of 832. (1.6 * max wattage load of 520). Is this an accurate statement? I don't have any tools to measure the actual electricity draw.

Ralston18

Titan
I have had good luck with APC products.

Pretty much do as you do ( i.e., UPS just for sudden power outages and to provide proper shutdown time) and do not depend on the UPS for surge protection per se.

I do suggest that you consider a wall mountable UPS. Provides much more flexibility in placement and keeping the UPS up and out of the way somewhere. Floor models tend to end up with lots of wire entanglesments, dust, spider webs, hairs, and junk in general.

Per your update: Do you mean Joules? I.e., how much "surge power" the unit can absorb? The effects become cumulative and at some point surge protection becomes meaningless. Unit will then need to be replaced.

cpres75

Reputable
Nov 21, 2015
Thanks for the info. I was looking at APC (along with CyberPower) but I am trying to figure out the size that I will need...referring to the VA (volt ampere). I did some calculations and it looks like I am drawing about 350-400 watts based on my components and allowing for for future growth.

One question about a particular model to look for. The PSU I have is the SeaSonic M12II 520W and I was reading that some UPS model may not be compatible with newer power supplies. Per APC some of there models have the "stepped approximation to a sinewave" instead of a "pure sinewave". Will this PSU support the "stepped" version which appears to be cheaper. I just need something to be able to save my work (under 10 min or less) if there is a power loss. Ideally it would auto shutdown if I am not close to the computer.

I have a surge protector already, and I have no problem letting my printer and other peripherals (cable modem, wifi router, etc) staying on that.

Regarding the update I just found that info online at How to Select a Battery Backup for Your Computer.

Ralston18

Titan
Unfortunately the marketeers' have gotten into things and added lots of "marketing speak".

And there are various discussions defining volt-amps versus watts.

Here is a link with a quick explanation:

http://www.answers.com/Q/How_do_you_convert_volt-amperes_to_watts

There are other explanations on the internet - some from UPS manufacturers.....

My concern is only that the UPS battery give me just enough time to shut down the computer if the power suddenly goes out. Generally, if I have left the computer and monitor on, I am within a couple of minutes to go to the desk and execute a proper shutdown. So I do consider the extra load on the UPS for a monitor and sometimes my NAS. In that context the 1.6 multiplier makes sense. If some surge protection is included that is good to a point.

And I do use a Kill-a-Watt to monitor power usage via various outlets and plugged in devices. That information can help size a UPS.

Have not read about UPS models "not be[ing] compatible" with newer power supplies. If I were the UPS manufacturer I would not do something to limit my market like that.

As for the sinewave basically what happens in the UPS is that DC from the battery is being converted to AC for the psu. How that is done is more of a discussion than is necessary at this point. The gist of it being is how smooth ( no spikes, dips, etc.) the AC ends up being. Probably insignificant for most of us. Will leave that to the EE's to debate about. In all fairness there can be some issues with those sorts of things but I have not noted any such problems around the house. I do have aluminum wiring so I keep a constant eye on the electrical circuits in general.

cpres75

Reputable
Nov 21, 2015
Thanks for the info. Based on this information I am leaning towards the APC BE650G1 Back-UPS 650VA or the APC BR700G Back-UPS Pro 700VA. Has anyone had any experience with either of these?

Looks like around a $30 difference to get the display and I am guessing a few other features. Not sure which one of those are preferred.

Will this be compatible with the SeaSonic M12II since it's Active PFC and a few sites are saying that this won't work properly.

Ralston18

Titan
Would not bother with display unless the UPS is sitting somewhere easy to see. And that might cut down on your placement options.

Especially if the objective is to just have enough "battery" to permit you to do a graceful computer shutdown.

Not sure about the SeaSonic question: meaning the SeaSonic will not work properly because the UPS is Active PFC (i.e., controls the load drawn by the SeaSonic)? Could see there being problems with that but not grasping the full magnitude. Will need to read a bit.

As I understand it, USA does not require Active PFC but Active PFC is required in some European countries. Is Active PFC required for you?

cpres75

Reputable
Nov 21, 2015
I looked around the Internet and several sites and found comparability issues with Active PFC PSU (like the Seasonic M12ii) will not work properly with the APC stepped approximation models (i.e. the non-SMART lower end models). I have not been able to find any consistent answer to this. some will say "there is no issue it will run properly", while others will say "it will fail and the computer will reboot".

I am wondering if part of the issue is with the PowerChute software not being compatible, and not the device itself. Or perhaps there is to much of a load on the UPS where it won't allow it to switch quick enough.

I am no Engineer or have any clue about this, so this info online is really confusing. Looks like this is something that has been going on for quite awhile.

Ralston18

Titan
Doubt that PowerChute software would be a contributing concern. Basically it provides information about the state of the UPS and then, if power is off/battery is on can execute controlled shutdown in your absence. Not sure that I would want that to happen on its own if I happen to be away from the computer for a few minutes - looking for a flashlight. Then come back and find my work lost.... (And PowerChute means another cable of some sort or the other to be in the way of things. Plus the added cable cost.)

My suggestion is to send an email question to Seasonic:

http://www.seasonicusa.com/faq.htm

Basically ask about "constraints" on incoming power sources such as a USP. Stepped or otherwise. If anyone should have an answer I would expect them to be able to respond. And you have their answer documented..... just in case.

cpres75

Reputable
Nov 21, 2015
Here is the answer from Seasonic...

I would say the efficiency of Pure Sine-Wave UPS is better than Simulated Sine-Wave UPS, thus we suggest you to choose from Pure Sine-Wave UPS. However, Simulated Sine-Wave UPS(most of APC or Cyberpower) is also workable with 520W psu.

Ralston18

Titan
I think that that response would put me into my "comfort zone".

Without seeing your original question it appears that you have the bronze 520 watt model.

Go with "Simulated Sine-Wave" and purchase the applicable APC UPS you want.

At least, if there is a problem, Seasonic cannot point at the UPS or otherwise blame someone else. I.e., UPS being "workable with 520W psu".

Will concede the subjectivity in "workable".

On this end I am finding/seeing more and more poor quality products across the board. Good products become bad, little or no QA for some things, knock-offs/counterfeits, cheap components.... Always some risk in any purchase now - especially technologies.

With any luck all will work out in your situation. Keep the receipts.... :)