Can't get Nvidia drivers on Windows 10???

Lee33

Reputable
Nov 30, 2015
I just upgraded to Windows 10, previously Windows 8.1, after a MASSIVE harddrive failure that lost pretty much everything. Since then I have found it rather jarring that when I go to download the drivers for my Nvidia card, I am met with the following message:
http://imgur.com/a/Aorat

Upon further investigation, I have found that my Nvidia card is not located on my computer AT ALL. I was under the impression that this was in the motherboard? Was it possibly in the harddrive that completely crashed??

To make this a bit better to understand where I'm coming from, I am NOT a tech guy whatsoever. I purchased this laptop from Lenovo (a Y50-70) and honestly I'm starting to regret it. I digress though.

My specs are the aforementioned laptop, an intel core i7, and what SHOULD BE an NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX that simply is NOT appearing anywhere. It came pre-installed on my computer so I do not have a disk of any kind. Not that it'd help since this is the first computer I've ever owned without a disk drive to begin with. Please help me...

No, it was not in the hard drive. Try this:

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2767677/clean-graphics-driver-install-windows.html

And make sure the discreet card is enabled in the bios. If the bios was reset for any reason, the discreet graphics may have been disabled. Also, you may need to install using the driver package from the Nvidia website and then enable your discreet card from within the included utility after installation.

Lee33

Reputable
Nov 30, 2015

I'm going to be frank here. I've followed what's on this link you've given me, but all that bit in the end made no sense to me. At all. Can you break it down so a simpleton like me can understand a bit better?

when your hard drive failed did you try and make a set of backup disks so you could put the factory image back onto the laptop?? if not did you contact the vendor and for a small fee did you get the restore cd that has the right drivers for your laptop.

when you do a clean install of the os and not use the factory image your missing the chipset drivers for the mb.
see if they have a download called intel chipset inf and intel mei drivers. if not go to intell web page and run there free driver update page or download the drivers from there.

Lee33

Reputable
Nov 30, 2015
I wanna say it was a 900 or something, but because it's not in front of me I really don't remember.

However, we have advanced in progress!

After fiddling with the Driver uninstaller, I have discovered I had it on the wrong setting or something! Happy days!

And upon the actual installation, I've encountered an entirely separate problem!

http://imgur.com/jnkGBS4

And here I just wanted to play Skyrim...lol

Lee33

Reputable
Nov 30, 2015

How and where would I find this?

Do NOT use the desktop driver installer for a laptop (unless you know what you are doing). Go to the lenovo site and download the Windows 10 certified drivers for your specific model. When you download the file, right click on it and run as administrator. Restart your computer after installing.

Yeah, that's what I'm trying to get at, but apparently he either doesn't know what bit version is installed, or doesn't want to share that information so I can link him to the correct drivers. It's likely a 64bit OS given the CPU, but I've seen a lot of systems get other crap installed that created much confusion until it was discovered, so it's always best to know for sure.

Lee33

Reputable
Nov 30, 2015

Yeah that would be my fault. I'm not exactly the most tech savvy guy alive, I just like to play videogames. Not to mention when I ordered the computer I basically just clicked all the "best stuff" and went "yes please" so I'm not even very helpful in that aspect.

I am going to say that I'm rather sure its 64 bit.

Heh, that's ok. I understand.

Unfortunately there are no chipset or nvidia drivers for windows 10 listed under your laptop model on the Lenovo website. You're going to have to either use the Windows 8.1 drivers, which won't work in all cases, trust the windows 10 native drivers, which may be your only alternative at least for the chipset drivers, and/or install the Nvidia drivers from the Nvidia website.

I'd try this video driver, AFTER running the DDU as outlined in the tutorial I linked to. These ARE listed as Nvidia 9 series M (mobile) drivers.

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/95561/en-us

Lee33

Reputable
Nov 30, 2015

With the link you've supplied, we're back to square one. So does this mean I'm just shit out of luck because my tech guy put me on windows 10?

No, it shouldn't. Have you tried the Windows 8.1 Nvidia drivers located on the Y50-70 product page?

If not, I'd try running the DDU again and then installing the following driver. When you run the DDU, you ARE choosing the Nvidia option at the top after it reboots into safe mode and the program starts, right? If not, you need to do that.

Here's the Windows 8.1 driver for your laptop Nvidia driver as listed on the Lenovo website. It may or may not work. I can't make any promises there.

https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles/49nv02ww.exe

Lee33

Reputable
Nov 30, 2015

No such luck I'm afraid. I tried finding the Y50 70 drivers on the lenovo site and had no such luck. And when I tried to use your link I got "This was for old windows. It won't work." So any other ideas maybe?

if it a gaming laptop or a higher end laptop they come now with two video cards. the intel gpu to save power and the nvidia one. check in the bios to see how power management and the video cards are set up. if the bios setting are set one way then all the os is going to see is intel video chipset. also under device manager is there any missing device??

Try rebooting a few times to see if windows automatically picks up the device. If it was enabled in the bios prior to the drive failure, it should still be. While most these units only use the discreet GPU when needed, it should still show up and should allow the drivers to be installed. Double check that your "tech" guy didn't turn off driver updating in the following way. Basically, if he did, you want to enable it instead of disabling it like what is shown here.

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2763685/stop-windows-automatically-updating-device-drivers.html

Then go to control panel, device manager and check to see if any hardware stands out with a remark next to it. If so, right click it and select update driver software and then update automatically.

You'll have no such option on Optimus systems like that one. It's one of the reasons why you absolutely need the OEM drivers (unless the OEM participates in NV's program like Asus)