PC Freezing, Buzzing Sound from Speakers

SupermanSam

Reputable
Nov 30, 2015
Hello all,

I've been having issues recently with my machine which have rendered it completely useless for anything more than a light gaming and web browser system, which is rather annoying :pfff:
So I have been happily playing Fallout 4 since release (loving it) right up until Thursday, when my PC decided to freeze up on me and emit a loud buzzing noise. The screen goes black, and whatever sound was playing is looped. I went to test a few other games to see if this happens in all 3D Applications and intensive games like GTA V, Metro 2033 etc all freeze up after about 5 minutes of gameplay, but games like Half Life 2, Minecraft etc do not. One weird quirk I found was that leaving GTAV running, but not moving the character did not cause any problems at all, it ran for an hour and did not stop until I moved Michael, as soon as I did this, the pc locked up again.

I got a new GTX 970 Strix (black friday was good to me) and the issues persist, so I know the GPU is not the issue. My Specs are as follows.

AMD FX-6300
Asrock 970M Pro3
8GB Corsair XMS RAM
Strix GTX 970 4GB
Corsair TX550M
Corsair H60i
Aerocool Dead Silence
2x 60GB Kingston SSDNow v300
2x 500GB WD Drives (RAID 0 for 1TB storage)
Win 10 Pro

Things I have tested so far:
Overheating (Heavy load = GPU @ 56degrees CPU @ 34degrees)
memtestx86
sfc /scannow
reinstalled windows
changed PSU (and made sure 550w is enough for my system)
ran games from both a dedicated SSD and the RAID array
changed GPU
removed overclock on CPU and GPU
cleaned out entire PC, rebuilt it from scratch, reapplied thermal paste to anything that can have it
updated BIOS
ran Prime95 and FurMark, no problems reported after 24hrs on each over the weekend

I've done all of this and I'm still having the same issue, so I'm debating if the problem is much simpler than I am making it out to be, but I'm stumped. If anyone has any suggestions then please do tell me.
If this is in the wrong thread, I do apologise and ask mods to move it to the right area.

Thanks,

Sam

Speaker buzz on freeze isn't abnormal.

From everything you've mentioned here, the issue seems to be memory related, since that's the only thing that could freeze your system at those points. Try running the games with only part of your memory in, and swap around until you pinpoint one or more combinations that work.

SupermanSam

Reputable
Nov 30, 2015

I'm going to test that later on tonight, I have some spare RAM from another PC I know works so I'll mix and match until something works, will update around 9pm GMT.

UPDATE

Played around with RAM, changed it over to numerous configs, all to no avail.
I'm slowly going mad here I feel :/