How to install windows 10 (that was originally windows 7) on new PC?

RagnarLodbrok

Reputable
Mar 31, 2015
Hey guys, I'm upgrading my motherboard and processor, so I need to do a fresh OS install. Ill be using the same SSD I am currently using, just switching it over. My question is, I started with a disk copy of Windows 7 a couple years ago, got the free upgrade to Windows 10 this year, and am wondering how to go about the new install? Should I just put my Windows 7 disk back into my USB DVD drive and run it in Bios? Then upgrade to Windows 10 again? The key will continue to work like before and I will have a free copy of windows 10 yet again, no?

Thanks

after you have done the upgrade once you can download windows 10 on a USB drive or disk to install. but the issue is windows 10 uses a hardware ID to activate your copy of windows 10 so depending on what kind of licence you had with windows 7 the hardware change may be enough to cause windows 10 and even windows 7 not to activate on your PC

RagnarLodbrok

Reputable
Mar 31, 2015

Interesting. I have the Windows 7 Home Premium, which I used 64bit. Likewise, I have enough spare parts lying around to assemble a second computer (albeit, not a gaming computer). I was going to purchase another copy of Windows 10 OEM to install on that. It would be using my current motherboard, but a different hard drive. Will this work?

USAFRet

Titan

Hard drive, no problem.
Motherboard, problem.