Seagate 1TB Hard drive not showing up

L1NK3R

Reputable
Dec 1, 2015
Hello
My 1TB Seagate Hard drive suddenly stopped showing up in My PC. When I plug it into my laptop it starts beeping rapidly for a couple of seconds and goes silent. The hard drive shows up on safely remove hard ware but doesn't remove it unless I unplug it from the USB port. Is there anyway to recover the data or fix the hard drive?
Please help

Welcome to the community, L1NK3R!

Those sounds could be indicating some sort of internal physical failure. Have you tried using a different USB cable with the drive?
I'd recommend you to go to Disk Management while your external is connected to the system and see if it shows up there. Since Device Manager is detecting it, you should definitely download the manufacturer's HDD diagnostic tool to test its health and SMART data status. You should be able to find it on their website, just make sure you run the short and the long tests.
I'm not sure you'd be able to fix the HDD, but I'd suggest you to check its warranty as well. If it's still covered, you might be able to RMA and get a replacement.
Here's a thread you might find helpful regarding your files: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-1644496/lost-data-recovery.html
However, be very careful. DIY data recovery attempts are very risky, so it's better to consult with a professional data recovery company.

Hope this was helpful. Keep me posted with the troubleshooting! :)
SuperSoph_WD

L1NK3R

Reputable
Dec 1, 2015
Sorry for a late reply.
My hard drive does not show up in Disk Management, what kind of USB cable do I need since I do not have a spare.

Regards
L1NK3R

Hey there again, L1NK3R!

You'd a USB cable that is the same as the one that came with the drive. Please refer to your manufacturer's website, find the model of your drive and check if it's a USB 2.0 or USB 3.0, then find an identical cable and see if it will help your external drive get properly recognized.
I'd again suggest you to check its health using the brand-specific diagnostic utility, even if it's detected in Device Manager only. The testing tool should be able to recognize the drive, so you'd be able to run some tests on it.

Give it a try and let me know how it goes! Good luck!
SuperSoph_WD :)