I REALLY don't understand this active adapter crap. Help /w 3 monitors. I THINK I got it...

amej8

Honorable
May 22, 2013
Before we begin: I have zero interest in Eyefinity. I want everything separate.

I've been searching for the past half hour and I'm still confused as hell... There are a lot of topics on here that "appear" to cover what I need to find out but I just don't understand how I'm supposed to configure the connections.

I have 3 monitors and only 2 are being used right now. I want to connect the 3rd one. The 2 monitors being used right now are a BenQ (which is my main/center) via DVI->HDMI and an ASUS via DVI->DVI. My R9 280x has 2 more connections available: DP and DVI. The 3rd monitor is the exact same ASUS that I'm currently using (which has DVI/VGA ports). I need to keep my BenQ as my main/center since it's my gaming monitor (144hz).

So, do I just buy this for my other monitor? http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters%C2%AE-Plated-DisplayPort-Adapter/dp/B00EDT01TO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1449010107&sr=8-1&keywords=active+adapter+dvi+to+display+port. Or do I have to reconnect my BenQ and do something else?

This probably shouldn't be confusing but I've never messed with active adapters before so I'm absolutely clueless.

Solution

that will work.

basically the rule is over 2 digital connections require "active" adapters

You're using 2 digital connections now
-both DVI and Display Port (your remaining open connections on the GPU) are digital connections.

This means you NEED an active adapter to add the 3rd monitor. Since the monitor itself only has an analog port (VGA) and a digital port (DVI), you're sorta limited in choice. an active dvi to displayport adapter like you've chosen will do the job.

amej8

Honorable
May 22, 2013
I understand I need an active adapter. I just don't know which one I need and for which monitor, and if I need to re-do the way my monitors are connected or just hook up the 3rd one via AA.

that will work.

basically the rule is over 2 digital connections require "active" adapters

You're using 2 digital connections now
-both DVI and Display Port (your remaining open connections on the GPU) are digital connections.

This means you NEED an active adapter to add the 3rd monitor. Since the monitor itself only has an analog port (VGA) and a digital port (DVI), you're sorta limited in choice. an active dvi to displayport adapter like you've chosen will do the job.

Solution

amej8

Honorable
May 22, 2013

Thank you! That's the kind of answer I was looking for. For some reason, you made it sound a lot more clear than the other posts I was reading from searching on Google lol.

amej8

Honorable
May 22, 2013
I just wanted to check in again to follow up... I ended up getting the active adapter I posted in my OP and my 3rd monitor is up and running perfectly. So my full setup is now BenQ via DVI-D, Acer #1 via DVI, Acer #2 via DVI->DP via active adapter.

Thanks ingtar33 for checking in!