(Need Help) Thoughts on this my Gaming PC build

MetaPower

Reputable
Dec 1, 2015
Hello there, I've been thinking of building a gaming pc in one years time. My budgets around 1000$ (the lower price the better) and I think I've made a built that for todays gaming standards is decent and fits my price range however I just want to know other peoples thoughts on this build. I'm kind of new to this gaming pc stuff so I just want to be sure. Also I live in Canada so this is 1000$ CAN which is about 750$ USD. Also please keep in mind this build does not include an OS, cooling system, monitor, etc. This is just a working pc.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/M4ydZL

-you have an overclocking processor and a motherboard that doesn't have a power design to handle overclocks well. ASRock Z97M OC Formula is a good one if you want a decent overclock.

-your power supply is far too low quality. do some research on how to pick a psu. evga's b2 series and antec's earthwatts green are usually pretty affordable.

-if you do overclock, you have to replace the cooler that comes with the cpu. hyper 212 evo is a good budget one.

amir_1991

Reputable
Nov 1, 2014

I think more Ram will helps you, so I choose a 16GB ram and the price is for Canada:

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/bx2D99
Price breakdown by merchant: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/bx2D99/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($293.01 @ Vuugo)
Motherboard: Asus B85M-G R2.0 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($89.25 @ Vuugo)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($95.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($57.23 @ DirectCanada)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card ($404.01 @ Vuugo)
Case: Zalman Z11 Plus ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.88 @ Canada Computers)
Power Supply: Thermaltake SMART 650W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ NCIX)
Total: $1029.35
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-02 01:16 EST-0500

amir_1991,

on $1000 gaming budget 8gb is plenty. the money put into 16gb is a waste when it can be budgeted into a better gpu. its all about balance.

i completely do not agree with what you recommended.

-you picked an overclocking processor and didn't select the parts to take advantage of it. you pay extra for an overclocking processor. why buy this if you cant use it?
-you need an aftermarket cooler if any overclocking is going to be done.
-the motherboard you selected is slimmed down and isnt made to support overclocking.
-the power supply you picked is very low qulity and not meant for gaming/overclocking rigs.
-the case you picked is pretty much the lowest end budget case. that should be recommended in a $500 build, and only then its a maybe.

please do some research before giving recommendations. there are a lot of people who don't know what they are doing and come here for help. you give them wrong info and they won't know the difference in most cases.

MetaPower

Reputable
Dec 1, 2015
Thanks for your help, I'll look at the motherboards, power supplies and the cpu cooler you recomended. I think I have a better idea as to what am doing now.