Clean installation of Windows 10 on SSD with Windows 7 Product Key?

jakeeee

Reputable
Jun 6, 2015
Hi there,

Basically I just ordered a New graphics card (390x) and a 240gb Solid state drive and I'm wanting to do a clean install with windows 10 on the ssd. Is there any possible way to do this with a boot-able USB stick or any other method? Should also mention I do have a legit copy of windows 7 (sp1) with the product key which I'm currently on.

I contacted Microsoft and they advised me to clean install windows 7 then upgrade to windows 10 but to be quite honest, I would rather just clean install windows 10 as it is a brand new ssd and I'm not wanting any "conflict" between the two operating systems.

Would really appreciate the help on this problem,

Regards

Jake

Current specs:

CPU: i7 3770k @ 3.50GHz
GPU: Sapphire 7950 3GB Overclock Edition (Upgrading to a 390x)
RAM: Vengeance 16GB DDR3 @1600Mhz
PSU: Corsair Builder Series CX 750W V2 80 Plus Bronze
MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3
HDD: 1TB Western Digital 7200rpm (Upgrading to a ssd but formatting this hdd for storage)

As from last W10 update 10586 you can clean install W10 using the key for your W7. If you already had W10 installed on that computer and it's activated, you don't have even to enter that key during clean install. It should activate over internet automatically. You can download it from MS site.
Using same version (Home,Pro, x86, x64, language) is a must.
Make sure you turned SATA to AHCI mode in the BIOS BEFORE SSD installation.

jakeeee

Reputable
Jun 6, 2015

Thanks for your reply really appreciate it, so I don't have to deactivate windows on my current hard drive? I will still be using it but just for storage not the OS.

Your old windows 7 will be "deactivated" by default. After you do new install you can clean up other disk so you reclaim space occupied by windows there. That doesn't mean that you loose license to W7, you can always reuse it on same machine until next July.
Before you install new windows on SSD make sure you turned AHCI mode for SATA and keep old drive off while installing windows on SSD. You can reconnect it later on.

jakeeee

Reputable
Jun 6, 2015

Thanks for the help much appreciated seriously! Lets just hope I can get the motherboard drivers sorted before performing the clean installation!

thegameksk

Reputable
Nov 5, 2015

Sorry for hi jacking the thread. I am planning on installing a SSD as my main and a HD as my slave, Do I also have to turn SATA into AHCI mode in Bios. Also I assume this step would have to be done before installing windows? Is that what you mean by before ssd install?

Yes by any means, turn AHCI mode on before you install OS on it because windows turn trim on by default when AHCI mode is on. It could be changed later on but it's a bother that can be avoided. It involves drivers and fiddling with registry. Same thing even if HDD is used. So it's important to change in BIOS before you install OS not when you put SSD in.
In case of trouble you'd have to turn AHCI off because you'll have trouble booting from HDD if you have to boot of it.