Windows 10 puzzling display issues

which_doctor

Reputable
Aug 31, 2015
Hi, I have just installed Windows 10. what struck me is how different the display quality is. i'm using the same Radeon drivers I used on Win7, but the screen is washed out, like the contrast is borked.

I use two monitors; one computer monitor and one Plasma TV. The monitor became dimmed, but the TV became WAY dimmed. the strange thing is that I can't increase the brightness on the TV "normally", setting it from 50 to 100 made it only marginally brighter, but the contrast is still way off. In my Radeon settings, I changed the pixel format to Full RGB which made the monitor look acceptable, but I can't do that on my plasma as tthe settings only apply to my monitor.

Does anyone know why Windows 10 handle display and rendering so differently? I also noticed that font rendering is different in Windows 10 where some font sizes look a lot better and others look awful, and icons on the desktop have more vibrancy than icons in the taskbar/toolbars.

EDiT: . I forgot to mention that I googled a lot prior to posting this thread and it appears that a lot of people have similar problems, also using intel integrated chipsets and nvidia chipsets. And it's not the automatic brightness setting beacuse I disabled that one.

Solution

I have never seen that problem on a dozen machines with all three company's graphics. Usually the issue is bad drivers. Make sure you follow the clean install instructions from the posted sticky thread before ruling out drivers.

which_doctor

Reputable
Aug 31, 2015
That didn't help. I forgot to mention that I googled a lot prior to posting this thread and it appears that a lot of people have similar problems, also using intel integrated chipsets and nvidia chipsets. And it's not the automatic brightness setting beacuse I disabled that one.

I have never seen that problem on a dozen machines with all three company's graphics. Usually the issue is bad drivers. Make sure you follow the clean install instructions from the posted sticky thread before ruling out drivers.

Solution