[HELP] Asrock z87 extreme6 won't boot with mixed ram

icefox1983

Reputable
Dec 2, 2015
MB: Asrock z87 extreme6

Old ram: Patriot Viper 3 DDR3 1600 4GBx2 9-9-9-24 Cas Latency 9 Voltage 1.5V

New ram: G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600 4GBx2 9-9-9-24 Cas Latency 9 Voltage 1.5V

Symptoms: With only the old or the new ram sets in any slots, the system boots fine. However if I mix the two sets, no matter how many and in what slots, the system won't boot into bios. It would power on, then power off after 1 second, then power on, then power off after 1 second, then power on and repeat a 3-long-beep pattern for a minute, then power off and repeat. The MB has a diagnostic LCD. It quickly displays 01 and 51 when the system auto reboots, and E5 when it's beeping. I checked and 3 long beeps and E5 mean "no memory detected".

Thoughts: I didn't think twice when buying the new ram. It's the same everything except brand with the old ram and I never expected incompatibility. I tried clearing cmos, updating bios, and turning off all fancy memory features in cmos to no avail. I suspected XMP, but couldn't figure out a way to turn it off. The XMP dropdown box only has Auto and Profile 1 in it. How exactly am I to disable XMP? Should I manually configure the ram? But I can only do it with one set of ram and when the new set is plugged in the system might again resort to XMP.

Any thoughts are appreciated. Cheers

Mixing RAM - even the same speed/capacity (AND even same brand modules) that where purchased at a different time can cause these "ghost" issues. This is why it is considered best practice to purchase all the RAM you need at one time in a "matched kit." This way - they are guaranteed to play nice together. Here are a couple of VERY helpful links, put together by a member of this community...

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/ddr3-dram-faq,review-33220.html
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ddr-dram-myths,4155.html

icefox1983

Reputable
Dec 2, 2015
Thank you very much. It looks I found out about the myth the hard way. I've always build my rigs with not too much memory, and add ram in a few years when the needs arise, smoothly... until this time.

Besides returning the new ram, is there anything I can try (that I haven't) that may make them work together?

Glad to be of service. Usually something like this is fine - I have certainly gotten away with it in the past; but sometimes they don't like to work together. "RAM can just be weird like that" is as far as most tech's knowledge goes.

One thing I would try is installing the sticks in corresponding "dual channel" slots. Usually they alternate but check your motherboard manual to be sure.

Let us know how it goes

EDIT: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/asrock-z87-extreme6-motherboard/3/ show's that you'll use alternating slots for dual channel. Try populating one brand in slots 1&3, the other brand in slots 2&4

icefox1983

Reputable
Dec 2, 2015

that was the first thing i tried. no good. but thanks anyway. I will probably play with xmp a bit more before going to eBay. got the 4x2 for $30 and i may get more than that back on eBay even after shipping and fees.

icefox1983

Reputable
Dec 2, 2015

helpful! will follow