Intel XEON 5492 support?

tomkinsr

Reputable
Dec 2, 2015
Will Windows 10 run on an Intel XEON 5492 CPU?

Further, will Windows 10 run on dual Intel XEON 5492 CPU's?

Solution

That's going to be an expensive experiment. The CPU might be cheep, but the DDR2 fully buffered ECC RAM and the CPU coolers might be expensive. Besides that, the performance will be disappointing compared to a modern system. At least it looks like Win10 supports the chipset and there is a driver for the LAN chip

tomkinsr

Reputable
Dec 2, 2015
The board in question is a SuperServer 7045W-NTR+ with

• Intel® 82575EB Dual-port Gigabit Ethernet Controller
    Intel® 5400 (Seaburg) chipset
    ESB2

I was given a server with an unpopulated motherboard, no CPU no memory, no disk and I would like to press it into service as my principle development systems motherboard just died

That's going to be an expensive experiment. The CPU might be cheep, but the DDR2 fully buffered ECC RAM and the CPU coolers might be expensive. Besides that, the performance will be disappointing compared to a modern system. At least it looks like Win10 supports the chipset and there is a driver for the LAN chip

Solution

tomkinsr

Reputable
Dec 2, 2015
I agree, it would be an expensive test. That's why I was looking for a definitive yes or no from Intel or Microsoft and neither of them said anythinh but send me links to read all kinds of technical jargon that didn't correlate very well, if at all.

When I called their engineers out on the lack of knowledge and support, they went silent.

As I do not have a more modern system to compare this to, I don't suppose the difference in performance will be of great importance to me.

Given that my compilers will use multiple threads to work, 8 cpu cores - threads - means a practically instant compile.

I guess, a new mobo + cpu + ram will be cheaper
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Xeon+X5492+%40+3.40GHz
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i5-2320+%40+3.00GHz

S_P_Ewing

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2009

tomkinsr

Reputable
Dec 2, 2015

tomkinsr

Reputable
Dec 2, 2015
I have received mixed responses on this question whereever I have posed it.
When I have some extra funds, I will purchase CPUs and memory to see what the results are.