My IBP desktop is a lemon, suggestions?

JeffBane1

Reputable
Nov 19, 2014
So I bought a desktop for gaming from IBuyPower a few years back and it ran like a champ for 3 years. The video card started to have issues, so I figured I'd just upgrade to a whole new system since it was 3 years old. So, being a satisfied customer, I ordered up a new one last December. Awesome specs, fast i7, 16 gigs, dual 970s in SLI, corsair power supply, MSI mb, name brand everything, plugged into the very same room and outlet where the 3 year machine lived. Then it died for the first time. No lights, no fan, nothing, deader than dead. Tried different outlets, power cords, no life at all. So called them, got an RMA, sent it back to CA at considerable expense (My bad, i threw out the box and packaging material out, that stuff is pricey). So I'm without it for about 3 weeks but I get it back in working order. I chatted with a tech and asked what was wrong and he said it was a bad motherboard. I said "After 3 months?" and he said it can happen. Ok, whatever, it's working again. For about 2 months, then it died the second time. Same symptoms. I called pretty livid and they talked me into shipping it back, this time at their expense (saved the box this time). I talked to a tech there and asked why a mb would keep dying. She said they'd swap out the mb and the power supply this time, that perhaps it's a bad power supply and shorting out the mb. So it's gone for 3 more weeks. This time I figure I'll swap out my surge protector as well, just cover every base I can. So I got the machine back, it worked well for about 4 weeks, now it sits dead for the 3rd time. I'm really not a happy camper and could use your guys advice. I clearly have a lemon here and I don't want to keep getting it fixed. Ideally I want a refund or a different machine altogether. Do I have any rights other than keep shipping it back to them to fix?

Thanks in advance.
Jeff

Solution
Hi
Because of the symptoms and the high power usage PC the suspicion has to be that it is a power supply problem which could be doing damage to other components.
Did they actually replace the PSU last time you sent it back ?
If you are unsure that they replaced the PSU then I would be tempted to mark the PSU in an unobtrusive place with a permanent marker and check for the mark when you get it back,and you should specifically request that they replace the PSU.
The problem is that most places that build PCs cheap out on the PSU .

makkem

Distinguished
Hi
Because of the symptoms and the high power usage PC the suspicion has to be that it is a power supply problem which could be doing damage to other components.
Did they actually replace the PSU last time you sent it back ?
If you are unsure that they replaced the PSU then I would be tempted to mark the PSU in an unobtrusive place with a permanent marker and check for the mark when you get it back,and you should specifically request that they replace the PSU.
The problem is that most places that build PCs cheap out on the PSU .

Solution