Looking for some help with reboot loop bug

Biggy Cent

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2014
Hey hardware gurus,

yesterday I did my free upgrade of windows 10 on my desktop computer from windows 7 home premium, the installation finished and I was on my computer browsing youtube for about 15 minutes then boom, hit with a sudden restart, i thought it might have been windows update just restarting my computer, but come to find out the window of time for me being even logged into my computer began to diminish, I was able to login for about 5 minutes, then 3, then 2, then all of a sudden I could barely login (once every 5 restarts?). I tried pressing the restart button while holding shift to get to the (run in safe mode, troubleshooting, and restore options) when i would restart to get there it wouldnt bring me back to that screen. It would just continuously reboot.

So I said to heck with it last night, I tried using msconfig and setting the safe mode option there, everything i could think of, I don't have the windows 10 disc since it was the free upgrade via internet.

Today I go to see if i can solve my problems an i go to turn my computer on and all i get is a black screen now, i dont see anything come up on my monitor at all.

Can ANYONE help me? This is sort of ridiculous because I read there is a patch for this "bug", so why doesn't microsoft include it in the download??????

If anyone can give me some tips or pointers that would be awesome, would hate to have to take it to my nearest pc repair shop and spend $100 to get this issue fixed when it's not even my fault.

Solution
My guess is that you’re actually getting a BSOD and that the cause is a device driver that lingered from Windows 7 and is incompatible with Windows 10. Of course without being able to get into the computer, there is no way to update the device drivers with the latest from the system manufacturer.

Your first step towards repairing the issue is going to be creating bootable installation media from which you can run a repair or reinstall Windows 10. You can download Windows 10 and create USB or optical media here.

Once you’ve done that and booted from the recovery media, you can use the Repair Your Computer option (before you click Install Now) to access a command prompt and run DISM /RestoreHealth, ChkDsk, or attempt...

WinOutreach2

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2011
My guess is that you’re actually getting a BSOD and that the cause is a device driver that lingered from Windows 7 and is incompatible with Windows 10. Of course without being able to get into the computer, there is no way to update the device drivers with the latest from the system manufacturer.

Your first step towards repairing the issue is going to be creating bootable installation media from which you can run a repair or reinstall Windows 10. You can download Windows 10 and create USB or optical media here.

Once you’ve done that and booted from the recovery media, you can use the Repair Your Computer option (before you click Install Now) to access a command prompt and run DISM /RestoreHealth, ChkDsk, or attempt automatic repairs. You could also perform a clean installation (note a clean installation will likely overwrite data and will require you to reinstall applications and drivers).

Solution