First build so I am worried if I made good choices?

tsjlia

Reputable
Dec 3, 2015
I wanted a nice gaming system but couldn't afford to spend $1500-$2000 on one so I decided to build my own for under $700.

This is what I came up with and would like to pick the brains of some of you guy/gals that actually know what your talking about.

The question? Did I do OK? Will I see a bottleneck in one of the choices I made? FYI I don't plan on overclocking.

Here is what I bought and will be delivered in about a week. I bought everything on cyber Monday and paid total $707.94

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/CdQHCJ

Parts picker didn't have the case so here is the link to the case I got
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J0NZ6PW?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_11&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

A few extras I purchased also NOT in the parts list.
Quantity 2 - Corsair Air Series 120mm LED Quiet Edition High Airflow fans
Quantity 1 - EGC High-Performance Thermal Paste Compound for CPU Heatsinks - 4 Grams

TofuLion

Admirable
that's $700 canadian? i would say you did pretty well then. you will most likely see a bottleneck in the cpu at some point, especially with no overclock, but that is a decent rig altogether and will keep you happy for a while.

tsjlia

Reputable
Dec 3, 2015
No it's $707.94 US currency

Would you recommend NOT installing the CPU and send it back and get another one? If so which CPU would be best for this build in the $100- $150 range US Currency

TofuLion

Admirable
well, thats a tough call because most of the value realized from an FX series CPU is in it's ability to overclock and increase performance to bring it to par. honestly, that CPU is about 3 years and practically obsolete at stock settings, though should be sufficient for entry level gaming. AMD hasn't really come out with anything that comes close to intel CPUs since then. so an intel platform with 4 or more available threads (even an i3) would be better for gaming.

but if you're set on the AMD platform then i would try to go for an 8350, if for no other reason: because it has a higher core speed (4.0 GHz vs 3.5 GHz).

tsjlia

Reputable
Dec 3, 2015
I have read that since i am using the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO I shouldnt have any heat problems OC to 4.1 GHz?

TofuLion

Admirable
well there are more factors involved than just the CPU cooler. that motherboard probably isn't the best for overclocking, and also a lot depends on the CPU itself; each one is like a snowflake and no two CPUs are the same even if they are the same model. it can't hurt to try for 4.1, it shouldn't be too hard to accomplish. depending on the games you play, most of the work is handled by the GPU anyway, and the r9 290 is a pretty decent card.