How do I install an OS onto my computer with another computer?

Joosh

Reputable
Jun 11, 2015
So I dont currently have a USB drive, however I have the ISO files for windows 10. I want to install Windows 10 on a gaming PC im going to build in a few hours. All I got to work with is a 2-Sided USB Cable and a second laptop. Is there any way I can create say a virtual USB drive on my laptop, then mount windows 10 on it and plug that laptop into my new computer to install windows 10?

Solution
your better off running down to walmart and picking up an 8g usb stick for a few bucks and use the free microsoft iso to usb tool.

WinOutreach2

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2011
It would be much easier to just purchase a USB drive.

To install directly from one computer to the next you would need Windows Server, Windows Deployment Services or some other PXE server for network boot, and the Microsoft Deployment Toolkit. This would allow you to boot the new computer from the network and deploy Windows entirely over the network.

There is also no need to use a tool to create the USB, just use diskpart to set the USB stick to active and copy the files from inside the ISO to the USB stick.

Another option would be if you had a USB to SATA adapter or some way to connect your new disk to your laptop you could use DISM to directly apply the Windows 10 WIM to the disk (essentially coping the installation files to the new disk).