Windows 10, display goes black and i'm left with just a mouse pointer after upgrade

rickpeterso

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011
I work with creating corporate images. I am working with 4-5 models of Dells. Most use Intel video cards. If i do a clean install i have no driver issues with any of the models using Dells cabs, When I use windows update, or the windows 10 cd to upgrade, after the upgrade i get a black screen 10-15 seconds after login, or if i try to use anything in windows. I have tried the suggested display driver uninstaller and have the latest graphics drivers. I have has some success using these tools on some models, but not others. this loss of screen can even occur when booting to safe mode. I'm at a loss... Help

Solution
With the way Windows 10 is right now you the cause of this issue is rampant with alot of machines with varying hardware and for this reason most ask for hardware specs before troubleshooting since a generic solution hasn't been pinned down and even if one was made they tend to work on a handful of cases as you've stated above.

Nevertheless the root cause can be the BIOS(which is resolved by a BIOS update or a downgrade) and most often a corrupted installer which may or may not crop up over time or as you use the system.

If you can access safe mode then try sfc / scannow and similarly try a system restore when this issue happens. As a last resort you can try a clean install if you can't get to...

Lutfij

Titan
With the way Windows 10 is right now you the cause of this issue is rampant with alot of machines with varying hardware and for this reason most ask for hardware specs before troubleshooting since a generic solution hasn't been pinned down and even if one was made they tend to work on a handful of cases as you've stated above.

Nevertheless the root cause can be the BIOS(which is resolved by a BIOS update or a downgrade) and most often a corrupted installer which may or may not crop up over time or as you use the system.

If you can access safe mode then try sfc / scannow and similarly try a system restore when this issue happens. As a last resort you can try a clean install if you can't get to repair install.

Solution

rickpeterso

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011

rickpeterso

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011
Thank you for your time and suggestions.

The BIOS versions on the machines I am working on are current. sfc /scannow run on the machines prior to upgrading come out clean, and it finds errors that it cannot fix after the upgrade. I am basically seeing this on 5 models of dell computer that use the same OS image.

That being said, the issue appears to be/was that explorer.exe fails to start or crashes. Microsoft appears to have fixed this with the most recent builds so some of my panic has been resolved on their end in the last week or two. I am still getting explore crashing do to a failed legacy driver... here's the fix for that:

Browse to C:\WINDOWS\System32 - using CMD run as admin from Task Manager I guess.
Rename the file "IDTNC64.cpl" to "IDTNC64.cpl.bak", such as via:
ren idtnc64.cpl itnc64.cpl.bak
Then restart Explorer.

Thanks