'Let's Encrypt' Now Offers Free HTTPS Certificates To Everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
It's about time! Hooray!

Remember folks, disable SSL V1, 2 and 3. They are now totally insecure. Only TLS 2.0 still works.

Ummm... TLS 2.0 doesn't exist. It's actually TLS 1.0, 1.1 and 1.2.

Haravikk

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2013
Ummm only on Unix-ish boxes? Really? COMON!
Does anyone really use other OSes for hosting web-sites? All the best tools and packages are available for Linux and other unix flavours, plus there are loads of good Linux server distros available for free.

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
Does anyone really use other OSes for hosting web-sites? All the best tools and packages are available for Linux and other unix flavours, plus there are loads of good Linux server distros available for free.

Umm...depending on which reports you believe, Microsoft IIS runs on nearly 40% of web servers, although I'm sure much of that is email server share. Those need certificates too.

Haravikk

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2013

Even so, I expect a much larger majority of DIY servers are unix-based, and do remember that Let's Encrypt is still in beta, so enterprise servers won't (or at least shouldn't) use it yet except for testing. I'm sure there are clients in the works for other platforms, but for the needs of a public beta I think that unix support is more than enough, as that covers a lot of server environments.

stryk187

Reputable
Dec 6, 2014
Ummm only on Unix-ish boxes? Really? COMON!
Why would you run a web server on anything else? (yes, IIS is a thing, but imo there's an extremely limited scope to which it's a viable solution to use)

DocBones

Reputable
Apr 9, 2015
Home Server and Server Essentials for those of us from the Windows tech world are easier to use then trying to setup a linux server in a vm many times.

Status
Not open for further replies.