You can overclock monitors? What?

Solution
That depends. Sometimes you get a good overclock, and sometimes not at all. No it won't destroy your monitor, but you don't want to push it too hard either, it depends on the electronics inside really. Because response time won't change, it will still be designed around the static 16.67 ms, you will reduce blur, just not as much as a monitor designed around a higher refresh rate.
overclocking a monitor will NOT make it perform better. As for what monitor, In order to get the best performance of a 144hz monitor, you need to push about 144 fps. Pretty safe to say the 750TI is NOT going to get close to that. And the higher resolution you get the SLOWER it will get. for example, a 4k monitor will get far less than 30fps with a 750TI. You might want to look at benchmarks at different resolutions to see what would be your best choice.

Umm... yes. I know. That's not what I asked.

I asked whether an IPS panel's refresh rate can be boosted aka "overclocked" as to increase the amount of frames I can see so everything will appear smoother. At 1080p, GTX 750 Ti is capable of getting 100+ FPS in CS:GO, GMod and other such games. I would prefer seeing 80 FPS instead of 60 FPS.

Will increasing the refresh rate with the NVIDIA utility destroy the monitor? Is it risky? Did you do it yourself?

That depends. Sometimes you get a good overclock, and sometimes not at all. No it won't destroy your monitor, but you don't want to push it too hard either, it depends on the electronics inside really. Because response time won't change, it will still be designed around the static 16.67 ms, you will reduce blur, just not as much as a monitor designed around a higher refresh rate.

Solution