how to reinstall windows 10 on a new SSD?

KrutikFTW

Reputable
May 13, 2015
Solution
2 methods, Clean installed (preferred), or clone from old to new

Clone - this requires that the total used space on the current drive is smaller than the new SSD
There are multiple tools that can do this.
It usually works. Usually

Clean install - Preferred.
Where did this Win 10 install come from?

USAFRet

Titan
2 methods, Clean installed (preferred), or clone from old to new

Clone - this requires that the total used space on the current drive is smaller than the new SSD
There are multiple tools that can do this.
It usually works. Usually

Clean install - Preferred.
Where did this Win 10 install come from?

Solution

dotaloc

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
I'd try clean install with *just ssd attached via sata...install, update, see if it activates.

If it fails, I'd fall back to Macrium Reflect (free version should be fine) or some other cloning software. In theory, you can shrink your partition (gparted, included in puppy linux or ubuntu live disk) then clone just that with very little chance of anything going wrong.

If you are successful with the clone and activation remains intact or allows you to successfully reactivate, you should be able to, then, clean install.

I just cloned my w7 64-bit on a 60GB SSD onto a 120GB SSD with no trouble...then upgraded to w10.

KrutikFTW

Reputable
May 13, 2015
i don't want to try cloning because I have a lot of important things on my hard drive already that I can't lose. Besides, it used up about 650 GB on the hdd where my SSD is 250GB so not everything is going to fit.

USAFRet

Titan

So, as above....Clean install or Clone.
Clean install - From the MediaCreation Tool, generate a USB or DVD install media.
Install with that.

Clone....how full is your current 1TB drive?

KrutikFTW

Reputable
May 13, 2015

538 GB used out of 930 GB
I actually used the media creation tool the day windows 10 came out so I'll use that but is there a way to safely uninstall windows 10 from the HDD?
I'll get back to you once the SSD comes in and I try the tool

USAFRet

Titan

You're going into a 250GB drive.
You need to get that used space to about 200GB or less if you want to clone it.
Otherwise, clean install on the SSD.

"Uninstall" from the old drive?
There is no uninstall...just remove, AFTER it all works OK on the new SSD.