Extremely Low Write Speed for USB 3.0 HDD

UnstoppaDOGE

Reputable
Feb 27, 2015
My external HDD (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TKFEE5Spsc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00) is having terrible write speeds. I have already updated the drivers for the motherboard, tried different ports, etc, but nothing is working.

Also, I have only had it for four months and was working fine just two days ago.

Any ideas?

My motherboard is an ASUS H170 Pro Gaming 1151 Socket.

UnstoppaDOGE

Reputable
Feb 27, 2015

But I am using Windows 10.

UnstoppaDOGE

Reputable
Feb 27, 2015

I have installed the most recent drivers for the motherboard, and I am waiting to receive an email for Atto.

UnstoppaDOGE

Reputable
Feb 27, 2015

I have installed the most recent drivers for the motherboard, and I am waiting to receive an email for Atto.

So have you done the obvious thing yet and check it for errors? If not, make it check for bad sectors too. If it find anything it will automatically remap the bad sectors to somewhere else. Not sure if that is the problem or not but it can't hurt any worse than benchmarking a problematic drive constantly.

Otherwise try to reformat it by completely deleting any partitions then do a full format on it, it will take a while. then try it again.

Another thing is to get the software for it and check the SMART data to see what it says. Forget what it is called but I know it is found on the website.

Has it been dropped or hit or anything out of the ordinary? Is write caching enabled? Did you change any settings or use anything that claims to speed up your PC?

UnstoppaDOGE

Reputable
Feb 27, 2015

Everything that I have done hasn't fixed the issue, which makes me think something is wrong with the USB's on the motherboard. The fact that I just opened the External HDD and it is working via SATA pretty much confirms that.

UnstoppaDOGE

Reputable
Feb 27, 2015
I do have the suite installed, but it didn't work for the HDD because it only works for USB 3.1, not just 3.0.

Are you sure yours is hard wired to be USB? Mine had a piece on it that covered the SATA port.

So directly connecting the drive to the computer via SATA works?

If so, you need to do one of two tests:
1) Use that external drive on another machine with 3.0
2) Use a different enclosure or USB memory capable of 3.0 on that same computer and port.

If 1 works, the issue is your motherboard (most likely), or if 2 works the issue is the enclosure (most likely). Running both tests is recommended, but just one might help.

UnstoppaDOGE

Reputable
Feb 27, 2015

The benchmark for the HDD on another machine is already in this thread, so I'm pretty much positive that my motherboard is the problem.

Yep. There is no sata port at all. The USB thing is directly attached to the drive itself. It is too bad really as I wanted to put it in my PC to protect it but because of that I just have it sitting on top of the tower plugged into the rear.

UnstoppaDOGE

Reputable
Feb 27, 2015

What kind of external HDD is it?