Using Window's automatic update, but still have drivers over a decade over.

pentdragon

Honorable
Nov 30, 2013
I've been having trouble with a lot of BSOD. After doing a lot of research I concluded it is most likely a driver issue. So I'm going trough every single driver trying to update it to the latest version. I noticed a ton and I mean like 80% of the device drivers on my laptop are from 6/21/2006 everything from firmware driver to my keyboard and mouse drivers. They all say the driver provider is "Microsoft". I'm worried that these old drivers are what is causing my laptop to BSOD several times a day. However I am having trouble finding updated version of the drivers for my devices. When ever I click on "Search automatically for driver software" It always comes back you have the most up to date.

I have update my graphic card drivers both my integrated (intel) and dedicated (nvidia). Those were easy to find on their respective manufacturers website. As well as my network card driver (intel) which I recently upgraded. All the other devices, I have no idea where to begin with those. I also checked my laptop manufacturer (MSI) website for drivers, but all their driver are also old mostly 2013 or older release date.

Is there a better way to manually search/ confirm I have all the latest drivers?

Is it normal for these drivers to be this old?

Solution
You're confusing third party device drivers with system drivers. Things like keyboards haven't changed in a decade, and that's perfectly normal.

If you have crash issues, update graphics first, but if your device is too old then you shouldn't have upgraded in the first place.

One other possible issue is the memory getting corrupted, especially if you have integrated graphics. To test, just take out one stick of memory and see if it improves. If not, switch to the other stick. If neither helps it's probably just that your system doesn't have the right drivers and should be reverted.
You're confusing third party device drivers with system drivers. Things like keyboards haven't changed in a decade, and that's perfectly normal.

If you have crash issues, update graphics first, but if your device is too old then you shouldn't have upgraded in the first place.

One other possible issue is the memory getting corrupted, especially if you have integrated graphics. To test, just take out one stick of memory and see if it improves. If not, switch to the other stick. If neither helps it's probably just that your system doesn't have the right drivers and should be reverted.

Solution