PC goes to black screen and freezes, seemingly a windows update issue?

Theaforementioned

Reputable
Dec 4, 2015
Computer occasionally goes to a black screen(usually happens when watching a video or when there are a lot of pictures/demanding visuals being loaded) and when this happens it usually doesn't boot up anymore, it doesn't register the mouse/keyboard or monitor but all the fans are working fine, also no beeps I believe.

Some times(It's rare) when I get the black screen the pc manages to recover and follows up with a notification alerting me that the system has recovered from a graphics error but like I said, it's rare that it recovers at all, usually it just dies and I'll have to open it up and reset the CMOS. The problem though, will persist with irregularity but frequency, again usually when watching videos or other visually demanding tasks. I solved the problem I thought for good when I cleared the computer completely and installed a new the OS all over again, being careful with the windows updates as I had heard it can cause Bios erros(pretty messed up) and the computer was seemingly fixed for about 6 months until recently it happened again, went through the same process, brought it back, computer would go to black screen and be stuck a couple of minutes or hours in, again usually while watching a video or loading a page full of images, decided to upgrade to windows 10 hoping that would solve it, lasted a week and now I'm here, happened again, recovered again, but now I dunno, maybe delete everything again and get a free OS?

So, can anyone help me or atleast verify for me what the issue is?

Hello Theaforementioned

I was wondering if you already checked if the RAM is faulty?

If you have two RAM sticks, you can check them one-by-one on each of the RAM slots individually.

If the RAM and RAM slots are not faulty, you can try removing graphics driver and then using the PC for a while to confirm it the issue is resolved. If it is resolved, you may want to use the old driver using which the PC used to work fine.

If the above suggestions/workarounds fail to resolve the issue, feel free to revert back for further assistance.

Cheers!! :)

Theaforementioned

Reputable
Dec 4, 2015

How do I check if the RAM is faulty? Just pull one out at a time and see which one(if any at all) crashes whilst using the PC?

Hello again Theaforementioned

Yes. That is exactly how you check the faulty RAM.

In addition to that, you can switch the RAM slots to see if any of those is faulty. To elaborate, pull one RAM out and let the PC start with the one connected to the slot. If the PC fails to boot, pull the RAM out and put it in the empty slot, i.e. from where you pulled out the other RAM.

Repeat this with the second RAM as well.

If the RAM or any of its slots is faulty, the PC won't boot in the first place.

Theaforementioned

Reputable
Dec 4, 2015

The RAM doesn't seem to be the issue, did as you said. So we're moving onto the graphics driver I assume, so, simple device manager > uninstall/disable?

P.S I really appreciate the help.

Yes! That is correct. In Windows 10 you can:

> Right-click the Start button.

> Click Computer Management.

> From the left pane of the Computer Management snap-in, click to select Device Manager.

> From the right pane, expand the Display adapters tree.

> Right-click your graphics card driver and click Uninstall or Disable as needed.

Theaforementioned

Reputable
Dec 4, 2015

Hey Vivek.

I'm still currently trying the no graphic driver thing, seems good so far(I'm giving it a week to be sure because the last 2/3 times the comp died at about 5-6 days after). I have a question though, not sure if it's something to be worried about, but since I disabled the graphics driver the PC will occasionally run really hard i.e loud and can feel the vibration on the desk where I'll often put a foot. Any ideas for the reason?

I don't think the vibration is related to the issue you were facing earlier. Normally the CPU Fan rotates faster when the CPU generates more heat due to over-processing.

If possible, try using a PC Tuner/Optimizer. It may kill the background services/programs that consume additional processing.

Theaforementioned

Reputable
Dec 4, 2015

Vivek you are a godsend. I'm going to say I think the issue is resolved with the graphics driver disabled. Not sure what this means, what exactly was the issue? and am I just gonna use the PC with the graphics driver off forever?(I haven't noticed a difference to be honest).

Anyway, many thanks for the great help. Googling just wasn't helping.

Hey Theaforementioned

I am glad I was of some help and thanks for the appreciation.

About disabling the graphics driver, there are certain things you can't do after doing so. Even if you are not experiencing any difference at the moment, you will certainly do after sometime.

To answer your question, No, you don't have to remain without graphics driver forever. If disabling the graphics driver makes your PC stable, this only means that the version of the driver that your PC had was not compatible.

To simplify, if your computer had the latest graphics driver, you can download and install its one-level previous version to check if that works. On the other hand if the graphics driver was old, you can try installing its latest version. Any of the solutions may work for you depending on the type of hardware devices you computer has.

Theaforementioned

Reputable
Dec 4, 2015
Hey, I'm back. My issue now is keeping the PC(windows 10) from automatically enabling the display driver. Any way to do that? The PC runs fine until the display driver is enabled under my nose and suddenly the next time I attempt to boot up it's having tremendous difficulty(It's basically 10 to 1 odds that it doesn't boot successfully). So, yeah, in need of guidance once again.

Do you mean that the display driver doesn't install automatically? I am not sure what does 'automatically enabling the display driver' means. Can you please elaborate exactly what error is displayed or what are you attempting to do but Windows isn't letting you.

Theaforementioned

Reputable
Dec 4, 2015

Hey Vivek, thanks for responding. The situation is, I want to keep my display driver(in this case AMD Radeon HD 5670) "disabled" as in that state it's the only way I can reliably keep the PC from crashing or not booting up. The issue here is that Windows will occasionally "enable" the "AMD Radeon HD 5670" display driver automatically.

It's often times a game of tug of war(I disable and in less than a minute the pc will enable the driver again) until eventually it lasts, usually until the next time I boot up atleast.

So my question is, how to keep the display driver(in this case AMD Radeon HD 5670) disabled permanently, or rather until I manually decide to enable it again myself.

P.S I've uninstalled the driver also, but it soon reappears, without me having done anything.